Unusual Colt Thompson Pilot

I was very fortunate to examine this very low number original Colt at the Ohio Gun Collectors Assocation (OGCA) show this past Saturday. When Colt Chopper first told me about this pilot with a felt disc, I did not understand what he was talking about. Having examined NO 91 and NO 133 previously and viewed other low numbered Colt's field stripped in pictures, I was simply amazed when the frame was removed from the receiver. Colt Chopper graciously removed the buffer pilot assembly and spring from the receiver for a better look. A gun show is usually not the best place to do an in-depth examination, so I hope to have more time with this low numbered Colt in the future.

The first thing I did upon returning home was to review the information in the Auto-Ordnance First Edition Handbook and 1921 Catalog - both rare pieces of Colt era paper. Nothing like what is shown in the above picture was referenced.

I know there are many members on this forum that have owned or examined low numbered Colt Thompsons in earlier years. Has anyone seen a buffer pilot assembly or pilot with a felt disc attached? In any original Colt Thompson?

Thank you for sharing!

Is it a 2 piece pilot with discs still inside it? Or a hybrid type like PK, Richardson, or Andrewski make?

I have never heard of a felt disc, seems way too soft to allow correct functioning.

But who would shoot #91 anyway!

The felt washer might be an expedient oil spray reduction/prevention device put in there by someone who did not care for the oil spray inherent to the implementation of the Blish delayed blowback system with internal oiling pads in the Models 1921 and 1928. Some of you may recall that several years ago I posted that I personally use a no. 34 36 o-ring stretched over the pilot on the outside of the receiver as a similar reduction/prevention technique.

While such types of devices reduce some of the spray, there is still an amount of oil blowback at the rear from the interface between the receiver and trigger frame.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Edited by Merry Ploughboy

I have seen this on other early Colt's. Perhaps a seal to keep oil from shooting out or possibly a

means to Lub the buffer pilot which is meant to act like a miniature hydraulic cylinder. My guess it

was abandoned due to cost and it not really working out.

I have never seen anything about this in any paperwork, but can a test to see it in guns more than once.

Tracie Hill