help on a 1918 BAR rear sight

You don't need a rear sight, Clyde removed the rear sight on some of the scatterguns, probably to make them cleaner & didn't need them anyway. The Dexter Scattergun recovered had no rear sight.

Attachment is a display scattergun I made years ago, to go with the " death car" hats from the couple, that I got from the Barrow family. Clyde was wearing the fedora when killed, Bonnie's tam was in the car somewhere.

Finding a rear sight might be pretty rough, you might contact Dan Block see if he can manufacture one.

Good luck- nice display you are doing.

OCM

This posting is about 1/2 in the outlaw & lawmen forum and about 1/2 here in the BAR forum, think we are OK.

barhats042.jpg

Edited by OCM

You don't need a rear sight, Clyde removed the rear sight on some of the scatterguns, probably to make them cleaner & didn't need them anyway. The Dexter Scattergun recovered had no rear sight.

Attachment is a display scattergun I made years ago, to go with the " death car" hats from the couple, that I got from the Barrow family. Clyde was wearing the fedora when killed, Bonnie's tam was in the car somewhere.

Finding a rear sight might be pretty rough, you might contact Dan Block see if he can manufacture one.

Good luck- nice display you are doing.

OCM

This posting is about 1/2 in the outlaw & lawmen forum and about 1/2 here in the BAR forum, think we are OK.

OCM,

Great information and I understand, but I was looking to exactly replicate the picture of the 1918 BAR that was recovered by the FBI. I have seen the others with the rear site removed. Also with my replica IRAC aluminum display receiver I think it would look more real with the rear site on it. Thank you so very much for responding and your information. I love your picture of the real authentic headdress and your replica. Thank you again and if you come across a rear site or even just the 1918 BAR rear site base let me know.

Sure, understand. I used IRAC, way back when they just got going, and was building display 18s. One is still in the Bonnie & Clyde museum in Gibsland.

I think your best bet still, is see if Dan Block will build one for you, at least the base. He's very talented on stuff like this. Then you can stick one together with GI parts, or Enfield stuff or such. I have some misc parts that could probably get you going, if you want to go that way, PM me if interested.

OCM

• 2 weeks later...