1928 Recoil Spring info; replace ejector?

Thanks to the kind folks on this board I've got lots of info and the parts needed to convert my 21 Colt into a shooter using 1928 parts. The spring I received came in a bag marked new old stock (although I bought it as used) but the ends of the spring were bend inward on both ends. The spring is the right length, # of coils etc. for a new spring but it won't fit over the pilot stem unless I unbend the end, or force it and scratch the stem. Anyone know why the spring is like this (see pic)? The provider has offered to replace it but looks like a simple fix.

Also, I believe I was told or read I should replace the original ejector due to it's rarity -- any comment?

K

post-262501-0-48995200-1579030401_thumb.jpg

Edited by morke

Thanks to the kind folks on this board I've got lots of info and the parts needed to convert my 21 Colt into a shooter using 1928 parts. The spring I received came in a bag marked new old stock (although I bought it as used) but the ends of the spring were bend inward on both ends. The spring is the right length, # of coils etc. for a new spring but it won't fit over the pilot stem unless I unbend the end, or force it and scratch the stem. Anyone know why the spring is like this (see pic)? The provider has offered to replace it but looks like a simple fix.

Also, I believe I was told or read I should replace the original ejector due to it's rarity -- any comment?

K

Can you send a picture? Are you sure you ordered a 1921 Model spring or is it a 1928 Model Spring? I don't know if it is necessary to replace the ejector, I have never seen one break.

• Upvote 1

Posted the pic above, and yes, it's a 1928 per the drawing below. It's all correct as is the pilot, buffer and bolt. Just curious about the spring ends.

http://www.nfatoys.com/tsmg/pdf/5153024.pdf

morke,

I am sending a PM message with my phone number. When you get it, give me a call. The PM system for the Board is in the upper right portion of the screen left of the sign in.

From your picture it appears to be a 1921 Model spring. The spec sheet you reference is dated 1941 and is for a 1928A1, which would be a 1928 Model spring, I'm not sure if you are trying to shoot it as a 1928 Model or a 1921 Model. What type of replacement actuator did you purchase? The 1928 Model pilot and buffer are completely different from the 1921 type in your 1921 Colt.

You can call or send more pictures if you would like.

Edited by gijive

Thanks to all who have provided info, parts, and opinions. Good to meet some nice, helpful people. I will post more when I get the gun to shooting, as in "achieving very low odds of degrading," condition! Hard to own something historically significant yet resist the urge to operate it!

Thanks to all who have provided info, parts, and opinions. Good to meet some nice, helpful people. I will post more when I get the gun to shooting, as in "achieving very low odds of degrading," condition! Hard to own something historically significant yet resist the urge to operate it!

Keith,

PM sent.