Favorite & Least .45 Ammo

I'll start it off. I like Seller & Belleot .45 ammo because it works everytime. I've never had a misfire & it is reasonably priced. I've shot probably a 1,000 rds. in my WHM1 with no problem (after PK improved the gun).

I like using Wolf because it's much cheaper than anything else I can find around town and I only had one misfeed in the last 500 rounds I put through my 1927A1. On the opposite end of the spectrum I refuse to shoot Winchester rounds due to frequent misfeeds and some of the dirtiest powder I've seen outside of the crap rounds we have to qualify with in the Air Force.

The WWII surplus is dirty ammo but it was relativly inexpensive and I have never had a misfire with it. Runs great in my gun. S&B is good stuff, Magtech is also. The worst I ever had was that stuff made by Armscor. It was pure shit. It was not hot enough to function in the Thompson and would barley operate in a handgun. Got it a Knob Creek for 7.00 a box and now I know why. Just my .02

I like the following:

WWII surplus (both brass and zinc coated steel casings)

Wolfie (cheap and consistent)

S&B, Hungarian (good price, works great....red, white & green box)

Winchester white box (although a bit wimpy...have occasional function problems...)

Don't ever shoot:

Fiocchi, Aguila, American (works great in pistols, function problems in 28')

US Nat'l Match (weak, could short-cycle and run away)...same with Federal American Eagle....not enough "OOMPH"

I like Wolfe because it is cheap and dependable. I had problems with Armscor. One Armscor case was so short that when it chambered the firing pin wouldn't even leave a mark. I tried it several times but no mark. Placed the case beside other Armscor cases and the unfired case was about 3/16" shorter than the other cases.

PMP from century is 150 per thousand shipped for orders over $500. Must be a C&R FFL or some other type of ffl. This month only. Stuff functions perfect. They also have some other great deal on ammo. 308 Indian is like 8 cents a shot.

Just a note

Jr

Just finished off a case of S+B and am staring at two cases of Federal American Eagle 230 gr ball. Never had problems with either in my 21AC, Reising, 1911's, or HK USP's.

Well I got to tell ya guys my favorite ammo is my reloaded 230gr. rn I cast. With help from my buddies we can cast 1-2k in a session and load 400-500 an hour on a Dillon 650...cost about $15.00 a 1000 rounds...and had fun doing it! One more point...you will never,ever wear out a barrel shootin` lead bullets...not in a life time. my .02,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

I use to load my own, but then the local shop is giving me a deal on S&B at their cost. I can't beat that. t does cost a little more then re-loads, but I've got to get brass while I can. The S&B has been the best for the buck. Stay far away from that American Ammuntion made in Miami, fla. It is pure shit as I have stated several times. It would mis fire, short ppowder loads, bullets were pock marked and it would fail to feed in clips and drums. I had a couple cases of it and I traded it all away. Guy uses it in his pistol and semi Thompson and it works well. I have a Lee Pro loader I reload with and those work great. Winchester primers and Hogdon powder with FMJ bullets from zero or other.

Best : S & B

Worst-"pure steaming little loads of shit" : American Ammo

I have a cutts compensator on my gun and when I shoot it with lead bullets I scrub it with a bronze brush soaked in Ed's Red, then follow up with a tooth brush saturated in Ed's Red, then wipe clean or repeat until clean. Yes, it is a bit more clean up with the lead ammo, but they shoot so well in my gun. My next favorite ammo is my own handloads with a FMJ 230 grain bullet, then Winchester White Box 230 grain FMJ. I am not going to hot rod my Kahr 1927 A1 since my last handloads might have been too hot for it.

• 1 year later...
I have a new 1927 A1 tompson it jams about 2 or 3 times on a 30 round stick i only ran about 150 rounds through it so far could you tell me if this normal for a new thompson does it need to be broke in the ammo that i am using is the american ammo i have read that american ammo is no good what ammo should i use

JC1 Posted on Mar 24 2005, 10:33 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a new 1927 A1 tompson it jams about 2 or 3 times on a 30 round stick i only ran about 150 rounds through it so far could you tell me if this normal for a new thompson does it need to be broke in the ammo that i am using is the american ammo i have read that american ammo is no good what ammo should i use 

The American Ammo is pure shit. I shot a box of it once and it miss fired over half of the rounds. Now it worked great in my 1911, but the tommy's hated it. Try some S&B or Winchester and see if it works better.

QUOTE (John Jr @ Feb 23 2004, 11:37 PM)
. . . 308 Indian is like 8 cents a shot . . .

.308 Indian can be anywhere from $10,000 - $200,000 per shot as it is such crap that it is absolutely notorious for being KB fodder. It's not even worth buying for reloading components. I have seen photos of one MG-42 blown up and know someone who bent the top cover of a 1919 (semi) in half feeding it Indian .308.