Cool pic- no butt, taped mags

If available, I'd rather had a L drum, wouldn't need to be as concerned as much about dirt getting in the mag.

I guess he expected some close quarter fighting since the butt stock is removed on the 28.

Nice photo,

Darryl

Edited by darrylta

This pic. has excellent resolution even at 400 % . That is the muzzle end of a M1911 sticking out of his rear pocket . Note that the sling is the front half of a M1923 sling . The rear half is prob'ly on the buttstock . Note , too , the thin slat between the two mags to hold them a wee bit apart.

Chris

I dropped a thompson mag on the feed lips once, the mag was bent so far out of shape i threw it away.

It's not a bad mag design but it's not great either.

A couple smacks on the dirt would probably put the mag out of commission

Edited by buzz

That tape looks like that old fabric type electrical tape. I haven't seen that stuff in over 50 years. That is a strange way to carry a 45 pistol. It must have worked for him. No hollywood in that pic. It's the real deal.

That tape looks like that old fabric type electrical tape. I haven't seen that stuff in over 50 years. That is a strange way to carry a 45 pistol. It must have worked for him. No hollywood in that pic. It's the real deal.

Ahhhh, friction tape. When I was growing my old man used that tape on everything. They used that stuff like Duck Tape in WWII. "you can fix anything with friction tape" was his mantra :-)

http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/images/DSCF3315.jpg

Edited by Bob

Ahhhh, friction tape. When I was growing my old man used that tape on everything. They used that stuff like Duck Tape in WWII. "you can fix anything with friction tape" was his mantra :-)

http://www.hayesotoupalik.com/images/DSCF3315.jpg

That's it! My grandfather had rolls of that stuff. He used it on everything.

Very possible that he commandeered the pistol from a comrade who could no longer use it.

No time to acquire the holster; just pocket the 1911 and keep moving.

He has a leather strap similar to the shoulder holsters the flyers and tankers used to use, I think they are referred to as M3, showing across his back. It appears that the strap may be broken because it doesn't appear to go around his shoulder. Maybe the shoulder holster broke and he stuck in in his pocket?

He has a leather strap similar to the shoulder holsters the flyers and tankers used to use, I think they are referred to as M3, showing across his back. It appears that the strap may be broken because it doesn't appear to go around his shoulder. Maybe the shoulder holster broke and he stuck in in his pocket?

That's a strap for an M17 binocular case.

Big Al,

You're exactly right. I should have enlarged the photo in the first place, I was concentrating on the buckle. I didn't notice the leather keepers.

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/pp227/Colt1928/Strap%20Photo.jpg

If he is carrying binoculars, he is probably of a rank/job that was issued a pistol as well.