Wtk:value Of My Thompson...(fs)

Hey Guys,

I put my Savage 1928 up for sale and I am curious as to what you guys think is the fair value for the package. below, i put my description of the gun and assecories. i know my price is up there, but i am considering offers. i just want to get a consensus as to what others think is a fair price. yeah i wish it could be $10,000 too, but those days are a little past us.

I have a rewat Savage model of 1928 for sale. serial #S-256xx. it has 12 patent dates on it and the old Auto Ordnance New York, NY address. it has a british broad arrow on the front of the receiver by the barrel. the receiver also has the british crown with Commercial Proof stamp by the broad arrow. the bolt has the british crown with Commerical Proof mark as well (at least thats what my eyes think these markings are) this gun was part of the first shipment to england in 1940. it's a pre lend-lease gun. it has a vertical grip (with the british type screw holes). mismatched receiver and frame, due to a UK arsenal refinish. i am pretty sure it has all savage parts. I sent this gun of to PK (thompson smith) to check the barrel and make sure it looked ok. it runs like a top.

the lyman site is missing a small pin that keeps the site on the flip-up post. i also have some additional lyman parts (i think enough for a spare lyamn site).

I also have a WWII 50 rd. drum. It's marked Bridgeport, but the front and back has a U mark, so it was made by United Specialties Company. it retains almost all of its original finish. it has a small dent on the edge (10 o'clock) but it does NOT affect performance.

i also have an original unmarked mills/rusco canvas case. it has a small hole (width of a pencil eraser) located on the top of the flap that covers the barreled receiver. its a little dirty, but i don't see any permanent stains. i didn't want to change the condition in any way, for fear of altering its collectability. if you wanted to clean it up, it would clean up nicely.

price for the complete package is $18,500 including shipping.

thanks guys,

Craig

I am aware of a Bridgeport 1928 that sold very recently for $16,500.

I would say the Savage should be virtually the same with a slight (very) decrease for being a rewat.

Drum would be worth $700 and the canvas case maybe another $700.

So your asking price is close to market maybe a touch high if anything.

OK I am ready for the flames I am wearing my firesuit.

michael

I"ve seen photos of the weapon and it looks pretty nice. I was thinging $15k for the MG, another $1500 for the accessories, or so.

Prices seem to have flattened out over the last 30-60 days it seems. Not gone down, but not up either.

But what do I know?

Sniper

QUOTE (snipershot1944 @ Oct 16 2004, 09:26 AM)
I"ve seen photos of the weapon and it looks pretty nice.  I was thinging $15k for the MG, another $1500 for the accessories, or so.

Prices seem to have flattened out over the last 30-60 days it seems.  Not gone down, but not up either.

But what do I know?

Sniper

The reason for the price curve going flat is that I just paid for a M1 about that time (similar occurance when I got the Sterling, MP5, etc. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

The time to really watch out is when I sell something off, the prices just just afterwards.

Edited by JTinIN

As of today, I think it is priced a little high. Generally speaking, a rewatted gun never commands the top market price. It would be interesting to know what it does sell for. Good luck with your sale.

thanks for your replies guys.

i dunno, i just seen 2 WH .22 thompsons for 36K, i might have to raise my price. LOLOL. thats an insane price.

I thought i had the gun sold, but i guess not.

i'm seeing a fair amount of WH guns come onto the market...must be coming out of the woodwork.

things may just flatten out a spell in 2005,alot of dealers and collector's have spent e'normous buck's in the past few year's....and the greed factor may slow up a little,when some start doing a back-step to what they spent...i am not saying everybody mind you but a big % will....

i maybe wrong.but a good indicator will be the s.a.r.show in phx.in dec.

alot of guys now have the thompson and other thing's..so they might move on to something french,japanese.russian,polish.ya never know wink!!

heck maybe even semi's might make a comeback......since the price of class three is really getting out of hand lately....have fun guy's.that is what it is all about..take care,ron