Another Expensive OOW 1918A3

I am amazed at the prices being asked (And sometimes sold for) on these rifles ... I spoke to Ohio Ordnance and they said they are still making their 1918A3 SLR and it sells starting at $4300.00 ... They currently have an eight month waiting list ... Here is yet another example of an expensive rifle ... That's a lot of money to pay for a few magazines and a reproduction BAR belt ... Just my opinion.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/868104649

Well, not many guys have the 32-plus thousand bucks for the FA version...….But it is a pretty nice version of the FA one, & has the heft & feel of the FA one.....

...I paid $4000. for mine, and that was back in 2009, plus, you could have any serial number placed on it.

…..These special versions of the FA guns out there, actually fill a hole in some of our collections caused by the high prices that we all know with the NFA ones.

…...Another SA version of a FA, that is totally hand made, and requires some time on a waiting list, is the FG-42, made by Rick Smith, out of Texas. (FA ones are priced out of this world)

…...If you get a chance to get your hands on one, you will be impressed with the workmanship that Rick Smith and sons have put into these….The price for one of these, Type I or Type II are about $5600. bucks.....again, not many of us have the 200-plus thousand bucks for one of the few FA ones in private hands.

......In the WWII Re-enacting world, the M-1918a3 is being seem more & more in the ranks of GI units,, and is quite impressive out there.....Same with the MP-40 SAs....so these SA ones do have a place, when the price of the FA version is out of our reach. :wub:

Well, not many guys have the 32-plus thousand bucks for the FA version...….But it is a pretty nice version of the FA one, & has the heft & feel of the FA one.....

...I paid $4000. for mine, and that was back in 2009, plus, you could have any serial number placed on it.

…..These special versions of the FA guns out there, actually fill a hole in some of our collections caused by the high prices that we all know with the NFA ones.

…...Another SA version of a FA, that is totally hand made, and requires some time on a waiting list, is the FG-42, made by Rick Smith, out of Texas. (FA ones are priced out of this world)

…...If you get a chance to get your hands on one, you will be impressed with the workmanship that Rick Smith and sons have put into these….The price for one of these, Type I or Type II are about $5600. bucks.....again, not many of us have the 200-plus thousand bucks for one of the few FA ones in private hands.

......In the WWII Re-enacting world, the M-1918a3 is being seem more & more in the ranks of GI units,, and is quite impressive out there.....Same with the MP-40 SAs....so these SA ones do have a place, when the price of the FA version is out of our reach. :wub:

I had an A3 that was stolen (Never recovered) and currently have an A3 that I turned into a facsimile of a M1918 ... I paid $4300 for both of them ... They are still listed for $4300 ... For me, 8 months to wait is not a big deal when a couple of grand is the price for instant gratification ... Then again, I'm old and have learned to wait for things ...

Oldtrooper:> I'm old too, and bundles of $$$$ don't come easy......I feel very much the same as you, and get what I can, with what time I have left, ha!

…….....I am so sorry about your stolen 1918A3, too much of that goes around.....Gun insurance cost much, but in the end really would help an owner......

……...Take a look at the FG-42 from Rick Smith, as I mentioned above!...I believe you would appreciate such a hand made gun.....There is a pamphlet like book on tqhis FG-42, by Jeff John, who thoroughly covers this FG-42, & compares it to the FA one.....You may enjoy it, because Jeff talks like we would among us guys, and he is easy to reach....(so is Rick Smith, SMG Guns)

Oldtrooper:> I'm old too, and bundles of $$$$ don't come easy......I feel very much the same as you, and get what I can, with what time I have left, ha!

…….....I am so sorry about your stolen 1918A3, too much of that goes around.....Gun insurance cost much, but in the end really would help an owner......

……...Take a look at the FG-42 from Rick Smith, as I mentioned above!...I believe you would appreciate such a hand made gun.....There is a pamphlet like book on tqhis FG-42, by Jeff John, who thoroughly covers this FG-42, & compares it to the FA one.....You may enjoy it, because Jeff talks like we would among us guys, and he is easy to reach....(so is Rick Smith, SMG Guns)

Luckily, I did have insurance that fully covered the purchase price of my SLR (That's how I bought the replacement.) Considering that their were 24 firearms in the stolen gun safe (They drug it our of the house with a truck and chain) and none have turned up in over three years, I figure the safe is on the bottom of a pond or river.

I bought a OOW complete 1918a3 semi receiver/bolt assembly maybe 10 years ago and put a WWII GI parts kit on it. Probably have about $2500 in the whole shooting match. I used to put it on my table at gunshows to attract customers and a conversation piece, I had a $4500 price tag on it, at the time complete ones from OOW were just under $4k I think. I quit doing it after a year because as time went on people starting getting serious about it and I got worried someone would actually buy it!

Edited by Burns556