Shot my 1903 and 1911 for the first time

For the first time since I've owned them (and who knows how long since the last time they were shot). Had a long overdue range day yesterday. The 1903 was made in 1920 and the 1911 Commercial Government Model (the oxymoron is stamped on the gun) was made in 1922. Both performed perfectly and grouped great (in spite of my barely being able to see the front sights). Took me back in time. Shot one of my other gangster guns for the first time since I owned it as well....Mr. Desert Eagle point five oh.

20200207_135240.jpg

Bullet-Tooth-Tony-Snatch-Vinnie-Jones-c.jpg

59815d0e-5ad5-4dcc-b64c-0dbf9b80532a_text.gif

• Upvote 1

yep, the O3's are very accurate, about half the size groups of my Garands. I've only shot one of my 1911's with not so good results. The DE, well I'd just hope to scare someone with the muzzle flash and noise, but the odds of a hit with me at the trigger.... not so good. A buddy and I cut down a couple trees shooting them fairly close though. While a literal blast, at the end we could have just about bought a chainsaw for what that cost us? A safe gun to have around the house with an empty chamber, since not many youngsters can pull back the slide......or lift it up for that matter? Blew the money on the extended barrel, that just made it heavier with bad groups!

A buddy shot his 1903 or 1908 for the first time and his front sight flew off. I was sweating it. Fortunately, no such occurrence. Both were extremely smooth functioning and pleasant to shoot.

I am to the point now, where I don't like having guns that I can't shoot. The experience was quite liberating.

Johnson, I hear you on the DE. Definite hand cannon. Fun though. It doesn't have that concusive "someone punched my in the nose" backblast that the .500 S&W has. I got it in a trade for a couple guns/parts I didn't need (and the only reason I did was because I love the movie Snatch - arguably Guy Ritchie's best film ever). I've had practical and collector guns my 40 plus years of ownership, but few "for the helluvit." Home defense....I guess if I missed, it would just deafen 'em to death ; ) As little as I plan to shoot it, the $1.50 a round doesn't hurt too much. Not as bad as .50 BMG (and I run less risk of retinal detachment).

Edited by Waffen Und Bier

I have not shot my made in 1903 Colt 1903, since I have owned it. About 5 years now. In fact, when I got it, it was so dry and had been sitting in the original box for so long, I had to soak it in oil to get the mag out. I had to run it in the ultrasonic just to move the slide. It moves smooth now and stays well oiled.
The U.S. Army 1911, made in 1918, was a little better. It's been completely disassembled, cleaned and reassembled. Smooth as it gets for a 102 year old gun. Maybe this spring, I'll take the kids out to play one afternoon.

1911 & M1

16950.jpeg

Background (41).JPG

Background (21).JPG

• Upvote 1

Nice. I haven't worked up the gumption to shoot my 1911A1 yet, Maybe some day. The M1A1, yes. The MkII is no longer live. 1943 British printed Normandy map, the chevrons and the booklet are from the estate of a 101st Airborne vet.

IMG_1907.JPG

• Upvote 1

Thanks. Map in this case is a German one. Battle of the Bulge area. The SS officer in the upper right was an Estonian volunteer. Have a small group of original photos featuring him and his family both war time and post war. The MP44 is a 1945 gun. Sold it to a friend a couple years back.

IMG_1911 - Copy.JPG

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

That's a nice pair of Colts. I acquired this 1912 model last year. it's all original expect for the magazine and grip screws. I figure it's a little too collectible to shoot, however.

021_zpscr4djvui.jpg

022_zpsmi48sufv.jpg

I also have this little beauty from 1905.

100_3873.jpg

100_3874.jpg

• Upvote 1

Nice pieces, Hopalong. That 1905 is a beaut! I missed out on a first year production Commercial 1911 (stupid, stupid, stupid me) a couple years before I bought the 1922 production. I won't shoot them much. Special occasions. I have a shooter .45 to shoot a lot.
  • Upvote 1

Nice pieces, Hopalong. That 1905 is a beaut! I missed out on a first year production Commercial 1911 (stupid, stupid, stupid me) a couple years before I bought the 1922 production. I won't shoot them much. Special occasions. I have a shooter .45 to shoot a lot.

Thanks! That '05 Model 1903 is one of my favorite guns. I bought it about 15 years ago, and the seller's photos didn't do it justice. Talk about a nice surprise. :)