MP38/40 Transport Box

Things were getting kind of quiet on this board so I thought I would start a new discussion.

I've had this box for a couple of years now so I thought I would post some pictures. I don't recall if these boxes were ever discussed here before. This of course is a reproduction as I'm told that only a handful are known to exist. But it makes a great display for my MP38, and while it's pretty heavy even empty it seems sturdy enough to carry fully loaded, but have not tried it with the mags loaded though, don't want to push it. It weighs 17 lbs. empty.

I had to do a few small wood adjustments on the interior to make the mags, loader, and sling fit better but overall it's made quite nicely. I also added the Machine-Pistol script to the exterior and the two eagles to give it more pizazz. It was made by a fellow in England for me.

There's room for 6 magazines, spare sling, mag loader, recoil spring, buffer spring, firing pin, extractor, sear. Since i don't have spares on some of those items that covered compartment is empty.

I can say without a doubt that I am the only kid on my block with one of these.

Mike

MP2.jpg

MP9.jpg

MP3.jpg

MP1.jpg

MP6.jpg

• Upvote 1

The original MP40 box above appears to be the one also pictured on Reidar's site, "Bergflaks Lounge", which is devoted to MP38s, 40s and MG34s. Www.bergflak.com

Scroll down to the bottom and click on "site map", scroll to the bottom to "MP40" box. Pics of original and repro boxes and observations about the authenticity of the "original" one pictured.

very interesting.....

The original MP40 box above appears to be the one also pictured on Reidar's site, "Bergflaks Lounge", which is devoted to MP38s, 40s and MG34s. Www.bergflak.com

Scroll down to the bottom and click on "site map", scroll to the bottom to "MP40" box. Pics of original and repro boxes and observations about the authenticity of the "original" one pictured.

very interesting.....

The photo of the box I posted is in the ATF vault in Martinsburg, WVA.

very interesting.....

The case would have been a great way to bring one back from European Theater.

Repos made in Germany and also Ukraine and Czech land, i am sure many have seen these also.IT is another thing to discuss. another rich history on a well known firearm second to the Thompson to some . to others a most unique design.R.K.

post-504-0-22330900-1614878474_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-40206200-1614878808_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-95149100-1614879067_thumb.jpg

post-504-0-02337300-1614879269_thumb.jpg

Edited by colt21a

I had a few MP-40 bring backs And also have never heard of one of these back here in the U.S. in a 1945 1946 time frame.However about 8 years ago i did buy a rail road eagle from a woman who's husband brought one back from Germany in the 50's way prior to these being made repro's.. He purchased it in a shop from the owner that worked in the factory who produced them.at end of war he just brought one home. it was unique as the back was unfinished. Sold it to a collector in Florida around five years ago.with the paperwork on it. letter from the owner and the widow.Always great when you come across items like that a million items and a million tales. I now have a replica in its place only $900 bucks cheaper.R.K.

post-504-0-94060800-1614891672.jpg

The original MP40 box above appears to be the one also pictured on Reidar's site, "Bergflaks Lounge", ....

After posting my comment and then again comparing the pattern of corrosion on the brass plate hinge on your example to Bergflak's, I suspected that the one in your pic was probably a different one. Wonder if Reidar knows about that one? Do you know anything about it's history?

Could be they are all fake made from the photo he found? I see Reidar's photo's, but none of the boxes have any attachment points as if they were ever attached to the wall of the truck? Then there's the concept of opening the door with the truck at an angle and the gun and contents fall to the floor. Surely there may have been a prototype and maybe some boxes made but never installed? All of the weight of the gun and loaded mags is on the side of the box pushing down and those joints were not glued. 2 miles on a road and the gun falls thru the side of the case. If you did get there, the hasps are tucked into the corner and are not really accessible and it would be hinged wrong? Maybe the truck was an Opel salesman's sample, but the construction of the case is not German military like I've noticed?

Maybe they had to drill the hole in the top after trying to fit an MP38 with a hooked handle......after the fact......doh. Put a sheet metal patch on there, no one will notice. A bad day in the wood shop with no sample guns and bad drawings!

I am a sucker for cool wood boxes and that one's pretty easy to make.

Edited by johnsonlmg41

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Things were getting kind of quiet on this board so I thought I would start a new discussion.

I've had this box for a couple of years now so I thought I would post some pictures. I don't recall if these boxes were ever discussed here before. This of course is a reproduction as I'm told that only a handful are known to exist. But it makes a great display for my MP38, and while it's pretty heavy even empty it seems sturdy enough to carry fully loaded, but have not tried it with the mags loaded though, don't want to push it. It weighs 17 lbs. empty.

I had to do a few small wood adjustments on the interior to make the mags, loader, and sling fit better but overall it's made quite nicely. I also added the Machine-Pistol script to the exterior and the two eagles to give it more pizazz. It was made by a fellow in England for me.

There's room for 6 magazines, spare sling, mag loader, recoil spring, buffer spring, firing pin, extractor, sear. Since i don't have spares on some of those items that covered compartment is empty.

Mike

This box is made by Martin Lake in the UK.

http://www.wwiiboxes.co.uk/mysite2/images/Martin-pic.jpg

His web site is > WWII BOXES HOME PAGE < which shows all the various boxes he offers. He does ship to the US, by the way.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I just got one of his boxes. Very well made and my MP40 and accessories fit perfectly. It IS heavy!

Just got one too very nice and my mp38 fits well

Hey, how bout some pictures. Exterior and interior with contents, share the wealth.

• 1 month later...

Mike

This box is made by Martin Lake in the UK.

http://www.wwiiboxes.co.uk/mysite2/images/Martin-pic.jpg

His web site is > WWII BOXES HOME PAGE < which shows all the various boxes he offers. He does ship to the US, by the way.

I called Martin and had one shipped this week. Luftwaffe Blue/Grey! He only has one left now.....

My box arrived yesterday, less than 5 working days after I ordered it from Martin Lake. I have to say guys, it's really nice. Very heavy, well constructed. Spare parts fit just fine.

I'm going to tongue oil the inside and replace his felt with real wool, like the original. Other than that, this a a great deal for a super nice product.