Ww2 Gi Thompson Forearm Field Modification

Found this photo a few years ago and thought I would share it with forum members. This photo was taken in late July 1944 in the small French town of Pont-Brocard. It shows members of the 2nd Armored Division conferring over a battle map. Near the bottom right hand corner you will see the barrel of a M1 Thompson SMG next to leg of the trooper on the right. Look closely and you will see that while it has the standard horizontal forearm it has had a vertical grip added also! Also, of interest are the two-piece camoflauge uniforms which were issued to some US troops during the fighting in Normandy.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/bfryar44/page113005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/bfryar44/page113006.jpg

That is the rumor about the DDay camo HBT's that were issued, but there is no documentable evidence that any friendly fire instances ever happened because of the camo. I have seen photos of it being worn in the ETO up to Sept 1944. It was a limited issue and was worn until it wore out.. it never was withdrawn.

It looks like the old "square off the top end a pistol grip, get a long screw and add the grip to the handguard" trick. Angles are about the same and with a shortened pistol grip the screw would be plenty long enough. I had a friend some years back that had a tommie done like that and I thought he was wacko. I see now that others can be wacko too. I just tried taking the pistol grip off my 28A1 and putting it on the front grip rail and it fits fine. With the top cut off square it would fit easily on the front handguard....I should don this instead of ordering a vert grip from dan.....Not!!!

Frank