Is There An Extractor Tool?

QUOTE (JimFromFL @ Feb 22 2006, 07:12 PM)
Although it seems my extractor is going to last forever I would like to know if there is a tool or a recommended way to remove/replace without scratching the receiver.

Are you referring to the ejector or the extractor? The ejector would be the only part that could scratch the receiver.

If it is the ejector you are referring to, take a piece of card stock (business card) and place it under the ejector as you unscrew it from the receiver. Keep repositioning it until you unwind it a couple of turns. By then the stud wil be high enough to not make contact with the receiver.

Let me ask that question in another way.

How do you start unscrewing the ejector so that one can get the card under it to start with-

I just went over and slide a business card under most of it (wh) but not all the way to the right end- that end would have to be pulled up a tad to get it under and then probably tapped on until it starts to turn- seems easy to bend and then it would never be flat but then again it would be the worn ejector so no biggy-right?

Now getting a flat ejector out would be a hoot wouldn't??

Is the business card strong enough to life the ejector high enough for that little tab to get out of its hole?

That little piece of metal is very hard to bend and was hoping there was some way to lift it up first in order to put the business card under.

QUOTE (JimFromFL @ Feb 23 2006, 07:36 AM)
Is the business card strong enough to life the ejector high enough for that little tab to get out of its hole?

That little piece of metal is very hard to bend and was hoping there was some way to lift it up first in order to put the business card under.

Jim,

Sorry, I thought you realized that the card was only to prevent scratching the metal. No, the card stock is not strong enough to left the end with the stud. You need a small shim tool, a small thin screwdriver blade will work, and gently left the spring steel until you can position the shim to hold the stud out of the detent. You can also use some plastic fishing line, tied in a loop, to pull up on the end and hold it until you get the card stock in place.

OldFalGuy,

The ejectors are made of spring steel. You would have to force it up pretty far to set it with a permanent bend. You only need to lift it high enough to clear the detent. Once it is clear don't forget to wind it counter-clockwise. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

QUOTE (OldFalGuy @ Feb 23 2006, 09:54 AM)
Thanks Ogive- I forgot about the fishing line trick. Need to hunt up a good stiff nylon lever/wedge or something to keep in the range box-just in case.

OldFalGuy,

A thin strong nylon wedge would be just the tool if you can find one thin enough. Good thing to keep in the range box.

Phil,

I think if nothing else woud do it you just cured me on the 22 kit-

Even after ALL the discussions related tot he Ceiner conversion kit I didn't know the ejector had to be removed.