Thompson Police Photos From The 1950s

Here are three photographs showing Thompsons in use by the Police during the mid fifties. The photo showing the Thompson being concealed is of Inspector John J. Kelly and Detective Deal from the Philadelphia PD. The picture of the two Detectives concealed behind express crates taken at the Northwestern RR station in Chicago. The third photo of Detectives stopping a car is not identified. I wonder where these guns are today?

Dick

Thompson_police_A.jpg

Thompson_Police_B.jpg

thompson_police_C.jpg

Edited by Sculptor

Hi, Thank you (really) I can never get them correct. I can't spell either. However here are some things I can do. The FG42 and MP40 are 1/6th scale prototypes for a toy company. The magazines are removable and the bolts work. The Springfield pistol carbine is 1/4 scale and is fully functional. The coins show the scale.

Dick

FG_42_and_MP40.jpg

springfield_miniature_for_MGB.jpg

Here are three photographs showing Thompsons in use by the Police during the mid fifties. The photo showing the Thompson being concealed is of Inspector John J. Kelly and Detective Deal from the Philadelphia PD. The picture of the two Detectives concealed behind express crates taken at the Northwestern RR station in Chicago. The third photo of Detectives stopping a car is not identified. I wonder where these guns are today?

Dick

Dick,

If the photo of the Chicago Police detectives is accurate, the guns are still in the possession of the Chicago Police Department. They have all their original Thompsons and some that were confiscated over the years. I have seen the guns. Most are 1921 or 1928 Navy Models with compensators; however, there are a few 1921A Models.

you can read the short story titled the Chicago police Thompsons.in the tommy gun news many many moons ago.the first attempt to ever tell the tale.

w.t.f. I'm no Helmer!

just liked the stuff.

Ron/Colt21a

Edited by colt21a

Thank you for posting this! Where did you fine these! Anyone got the reason for them to be at the C&NW depot? I guess any storys on the pictures? Thanks all.-adlake

All the police pictures and captions are from an article in "Guns" magazine August, 1957 titled "Is the Tommy Gun a Police Weapon" by Valmore Forgett Jr. (I re-created Casimir Pulaski's sword among other things for Val in the 70's) Here is another picture from the article showing the Milwaukee, Wis. Police shooting the Thompson. Also a nice shot of the hardcase.

Dick

Thompson_Milwaukee_Police.jpg

Edited by Sculptor

Very cool pics!

The Bausch and Lombs will surely incur some scratching from his holding his head too close to the Lyman.... I have several scratches on my glasses from that!