Is A C Drum Worth A Good Idea?

I'm talking to Merle about buying one of his C drums. He has some Westies that he's tweaked. I'm tempted. I've got 3 L's (a Bridgeport & 2 WH's) that run fine, and a 39 round drum that came with gun and doesn't run. I shoot them in my WH 28, which incidentally has one of PK's 21 kits. I'm thinking of trading in one of the Westies on the C (along with some cash, of course).

I've heard you guys talk about how cool it is to empty a C drum, and I'm tantalized. However, I've got mixed feelings. I wonder if I'd use it very much. Seems like a really heavy, awkward gadget. I can see myself taking it out a couple of times and then, after the "thrill has gone," deciding to leave it at home because it was a lot handier to just bring a couple of L's. Kind of an expensive paperweight. What do you guys think? Thanks.

See if you can find someone with a C drum - shoot it and I think you will answer your own question. I agree, its heavy, akward and everything you say - but, you will be one of only kids on your block with one.

I have a C drum that Merle fixed - its a keeper.

Gunner,

The Original C drums were made for the 1921 Model Thompsons with the instructions to wind to 15 clicks. I don't know about the West Huley C drums but I'm sure they weren't made specifically for 1928 Model guns.

The individual quirky characteristics of the West Hurley made products notwithstanding, it should work fine as long as it has been fine tuned by Merle to operate properly.

Gunner,

The West Hurley C drum that I have for trade, and that was tuned by Merle, runs flawlessly in an original Colt 21 and in a Savage 28A1. Fifteen clicks on the drum for either one and she is a blast. I ran it twice in the 21 and once in the 28A1 before I acquired a Colt C drum. Now that I have the Colt C drum I am trading the West Hurley for a Mills or Rusco Canvas carrying case. Looking at two Mills (very dirty) and one unmarked case (haven't seen pictures of it yet) as offers for trade. Haven't decided which one to trade for the minty West Hurley C drum. The Mills cases are what I prefer but they are dirty. The unmarked case was descibed as very good condition with modification to the mag pouch to hold 30 round mags. I haven't seen pictures of it yet so I'm not sure about this one.

Everyone with a Thompson must have a C drum. It is one of those accessories that makes the gun a complete set.

Rob

I feel the same way. That is why I bought the Colt C drum.

The West Hurley C drum is better than no C drum at all and it is a collectable Thompson accessory sought after by many. For me, it kinda partially filled a void until a Colt C drum could be located.

The Westy C drum does not hold a candle to a Colt C drum, BUT......they can be made to function.

I would dare say that none of the Westy C drums ran well in any full-auto Thompson. In a semi auto, it seemed to be ok, because the fire rate is so slow; but it still jams. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

If I owned a real Colt Thompson, I would want a Colt C drum. I would also want a Westy (or two) that has been refurbed by Merle and/or PK to run in a 1921. These would be my "shooters," ESPECIALLY if I let someone else shoot the gun with a drum. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif

Nothing "dents" liked a loaded C drum hitting the concrete! OUCH! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/sad.gif

Arthur is right about the Westy C being a collectable because of the high capacity ban. If they could still make C drums, most of the Westys would be long gone by now.

My $.02 worth.

Norm

QUOTE And if the AW/mag ban sunsets, and if WH starts making 'em again, will I buy one? You bet. Instantly. But I will buy it for historical show and tell, to explain how the Thompson designers and builders learned when they had gone too far with magazines.

Phil,

The original Colt C drum was indeed folly since it was not practical and quickly taken out of production. However, this impractical drum is only valuable, and noteworthy, if it is the one from the 1920's time period. The high capacity mag ban had, nor has, anything to do with the collectability, or value, of the original C drum. To purchase a WH type C drum for the purpose of "historical" show and tell would be the equivalent of buying a modern manufactured fiberglass crossbow to illustrate what type of weapons were employed at Agincourt. There is a whole lot lost in the translation. This is why the WH type C drum, after extensive modification, could only be useful to the buyer to experience the awkwardness of wielding the TSMG during a 100 round dump.

I'm getting very tired of the numerous posts on "value'' and "collectibility" of certain now hard to get early Thompsons and accesssories. The 'I have this, you only have that' syndrome is getting very old on this board. I'll bet that I shoot my WH "C" drum a lot more than Arthur shoots his Colt "C" drum. The way I see it, if you don't use the damn things and have fun with them, you are nothing more than a voyeur, a caretaker of dusty museum pieces that you are too afraid to use because they are so "valuable". Therefore I contend that there IS great 'value' in what some members call 'lesser desirable', collectible Thompson items such as WH guns & drums that can & do work and that you can go out and have fun with. Thompson guns and accessories are only pieces of wood and metal, made to be used, who made them and when they were made is of little concern to me, if walks, flies, & quacks like a duck, it's a duck! Nuf' said, lets go out and shoot, afterwords I'll buy the first round! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

Mike Hammer

QUOTE I'm getting very tired of the numerous posts on "value'' and "collectibility" of certain now hard to get early Thompsons and accesssories. The 'I have this, you only have that' syndrome is getting very old on this board.

Mike,

I am not sure why you would be bothered by the inescapable fact that the Thompson and its accessories that were manufactured in the 1920's are today considered antiques and valuable commodities. That is something that no one on this board determined, but all of use are forced to concede. I myself do not see how shooting a Colt C drum could hurt the damn thing. The real point of this thread is that the original concept for the C drum is absurd in practise.

If you enjoy wielding your WH C drum on the range, then you are indeed in your element. But if a gun only has value to you when you are shooting it, then I guess you wouldn't appreciate the pre West Hurley Thompson's anyway.

I value them MOST when I am shooting them, much less when I all I can do is look at them. I've never shot a Colt Thompson & I'm not sure that I'd want to. I might get a nick on it and then someone would have a heart attack and cry about how much I've just devalued it. Others just want to gloat about the fact that Colt Thompsons and accs. are worth so much more than any other Thompsons because they just happen to own such items, well goody gumdrops for them. Frankly I just don't see it, making such a huge distinction between new and old Thompsons, they all do the same thing, spit lead! The 'C' drum is absurd? I wouldn't totally agree with that statement, a little unwieldy but it has a certain panache that is hard to beat in sub-machine guns. I suspect in the next hundred years, if Americans are still able to own guns, (doubtful at the rate we are going) that there will be little price differences among Thompsons. They will all be worth a lot, or they won't be worth anything because we won't be allowed to own them.

Mike Hammer http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Mike Hammer,...I kinda like your way of seein`it,....nothin` like a drum at the range to set you apart from the crowd...spittin` lead is what it`s all about for me...maybe we`ll meet up someday and dump a drum in my 21 and you can buy the first round afterwords,just my .02,out. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

21 Smoker: Anytime you are in Louisiana look me up and bring your gun with you, after a thousand rounds, I'll buy the first pitcher of brew...or being in Louisiana maybe I should say "the 1st round of 'Hurricanes'!"

Cheers. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mike Hammer