Khar Drum

Called Kahr this morning and explained the situation. The person I spoke with said they knew all about the problems with the recent run of L drums and "the vendor" had already made corrections. I was told to just send it in and the people in receiving would know instantly what the deal is (guess that means they've had some "feedback"). They promised to replace it with a new "corrected" version, and even gave me a UPS account number to charge the shipment to. So it's on its way to them now, delivery scheduled for Friday. I must say they made no bones about acknowledging it was their error and seemed eager to make it good.

Jeez, it'd be so easy for them to just do the proper in-house QC and avoid all the expense of return-and-replacement. How can any for-profit company think that using their customer base as a QC department is good business? Anyhow, I guess we'll soon see what the "new corrected" version looks like. I'll post a report when I receive it.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As an in-house cost savings, the U.S. auto industry did away with most in-house quality checking years ago. The parts were supposed to come to the auto companies from the vendors pre-checked by the vendors at the vendor's own expense. Warranty cost for non-compliant parts were passed on to the vendors.

Kahr may have a similar program.

MP

All,

My understanding is that there was a problem with the first drums that came from Kahrs vendor. The issuse has been resolved and some type of quality control is being put in place to check the new drums. On the long awaited C drums...Tracie Hill is working with Kahr on these and has produced a blueprint to work off of. This may make quite a difference as long as they don't deviate from the prints. Reverse engineering can be pretty trickyand lead to problems (like the new L drums). Just discovering the tollerances to stick to can be a ton of work. Working off of a blueprint is much easier and should yield better results...I hope. At any rate it sounds like they have what they need to produce a quality C drum and if it comes out junk...would speak volumes about Kahrs motivation. I have been assured by Kahr that they want to attract the full auto crowd to buy the drums and they are aware that the quality will have to be there in order for that to happen. Both Tracie and I have stressed this point to the folks at Kahr seperately. Wait, Hope and pray.

Damon

My understanding is that there was a problem with the first drums that came from Kahrs vendor

The problems not only exist in their current "L" Drums, but also with their past "X" Drum. I should think that if Kahr was truly motivated, they would have gotten the problems worked out with their 10Rd Drums before moving on to the 50 rounders..Just an observation.

Wait, Hope and pray.

AMEN to that Bro!....

Well that sounds like good news in re the C drums and I will do my part. If it comes out and doesn't function I will send it back repeatedly rather than have it tuned as I am with the 3 L's, coward that I am.

Saw a WH C drum for sale recently in the 11-1200 range- Kahr et al should be able to beat that price point by a country mile AND produce a better drum.

We will have to wait and see and return if necessary as I would bet we can all sorta do without a C drum in the big scheme of things, I know I can even though I too would like to have a couple of them for grins like anyone else.

Mark

Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder how hard it would be to find out who is Kahr's supplier of drums. If we had that info, we could go direct and possibly get exactly what we want.

I imagine it would take an order of 50-100 drums to get the supplier interested, but it would be worth it to avoid dealing with Kahr.

PK, Philohio and others - what do you think? Is this doable? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/dry.gif

Just out of idle curiosity, I wonder how hard it would be to find out who is Kahr's supplier of drums. If we had that info, we could go direct and possibly get exactly what we want.

I imagine it would take an order of 50-100 drums to get the supplier interested, but it would be worth it to avoid dealing with Kahr.

What makes you think Kahr's Supplier would produced better Drums for other Vendors? Since their producing Junk for Kahr now, I don't see how they could change anything, regardless of the numbered ordered from anyone else. I'm also sure that Kahr has ordered many Thousands of these too from who ever the Company is that Kahr contracted to manufacture these. I do hope that the folks at Kahr will get to the bottom of this mess, and Straighten everything out. I also have my fingers crossed for the introduction of the new "C" Drums. I just hope the wait will be worth it, unlike their current offerings.

QUOTE (Hawkeye_Joe @ Jan 18 2005, 07:41 PM)
This is why I had to laugh at Liberator's use of Khar and Quality Control in the same sentence..they have none. He's happy to have his M1 Tommy , even though the forearm's wrong, the rear sight is falling off, the front sight is rotating, and the safety has lost a part. .but to quote him..
All in all, for less than 1/10th the price of the real deal, I got a damn fun little Thompson!

BULLSHIT!! for the price he paid for a SBR Thompson it should do as well as a Browning or a Kimber..and not fall to fuck apart when he shoots it.

Hey, if Browning or Kimber made a SBR Thompson I'd damn well pay for it. But, where do I get a new semi-thompson outside of Kahr? That's exactly why Microsoft produces so much crap. It's a big fat monopoly. Just like old Ma Bell back in the day (and she'll be back soon.)

Sent them my nasty note and they're sending me parts, etc. As i said in the other thread, I'd rather fix it myself so that it's done right. It's really too bad that a crappy company bought the rights to AO but I have the same worries now that IBM sold its PC arm to the Chinese.

It's all about the least overhead and selling the most units. No one gives a crap anymore and if you do, you're among an elite group of artisans that will have to sell each unit for a ton of money just to stay in business. It's a Wal-Mart world where quality and integrity just seem to be a lost art.

I got my drum in late October and mine wasn't all that great either.Mainly it was the fit and finish that really was bad.

The main thing was the rivets and mounting rails. All is well now(after I fixed it) but spending dam near $300.00 for this "THING" really pissed me off for what I got.I had the same song and dance you guys guys have with your drums also.But it works after I had to fix the problems with the drum.

I'll will NEVER buy any thing from Kahr again. Thier Thompsons suck,Drums and quality control sucks as well too. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

I went into it knowing the risks, kind of like buying a cheap car. You plan up front to sink more money into it. Whether that is smart or not, is another debate.

In regards to sending the bad stuff back to Kahr, I'll certainly will do that first before paying someone to repair them. However, I doubt if that will deter Kahr from producing more drums. I'm sure they have planned the L drum as a selling point for new guns. Even newbies wanted their drums to speak volumes.

Well guys, i received my Drum yesterday (Thursday). fit is sloppy, finish on front alright, finish on back ...well, very little finish on it. shot it....wouldn't cycle worth a damn. going back next week with a strongly worded letter. not gonna work on one that should work correctly to start with. Bob , need the number that you contacted Kahr at. please post or send to me via email. thanks in advance. thesavage@mynetrocks.com

The Savage http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

I feel your pain Bro.. I sure have received a lot of email correspondence by so many in responce of receiving shoddy merchandise from Kahr, that it's getting quite unbelievable. I realize that Kahr just recently decided to go with a different Contractor for their Drum production, but SOMEONE from Kahr needs to make damn sure that these problems don't occur in the future. Whether or not it would be better for Kahr to forget about anything Thompson and have someone else take over entirely, I don't know. I'm beginning to think, actually have come to believe, that would probably be best. Sickening...

This is the first time I have heard of a Copper Ring...I have not purchased a Kahr Drum; as I was advised against doing so, and I bless my lucky stars that I didn't. It's interesting to note that your two Drums had these Rings. Wonder what the purpose of those were?

JimFromFL,

Mine was also a group buy it's already on its way back to Kahr. Only took 2 phone calls and an email to get a response. Kahr said send it back. Hopefully the one that comes back will be better.

full auto 45,

No copper on the one I had.

Kevin

WH L drums are starting to look good compared to what there making now !!

When I was at Knobcreek I seen the new Kahr drums, didn't think much of them

they were off color ( burnt looking ) the rim of the can was rippled, and it felt like

a lighter gage material . thats why I didn't order any.

All my WH L drums have worked perfect since I bought them new years ago,never

had to do anything to them

See Ya

Tino

I'm with roadking. I bought a couple of WH L drums in the mid 90's and they have produced rock solid performance.