• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CaptMax

CaptMax

• Regular Group
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:WWII Firearms and military armor

Posted 19 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

New to the Thompson world and had a few questions on an early WH M5 pistol. It is a 1977 production judging by the low three digit serial number. My questions are as follows:
1) Would this have a steel receiver if the serial number were under p200? It is not in my possession so I am unable to verify if it is steel or aluminum yet.
2) Why did the WH drums only hold 39 rounds?
3) Will a 50 round drum work in it as well?
4) It has the blade sight on front of the finned barrel but I want to install a Cutts compensator on it and wondered if I need the pinned or the threaded compensator to do so?

I appreciate any helpful insight you guys can offer, thanks!
Sorry for the all the questions, just starting out with these but am no stranger to the machine gun world.
CaptMax

#2 Oldtrooper

Oldtrooper

RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 301 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 03:33 PM

To my knowledge all A5 pistols had aluminum receivers ... A drum is a drum ... 10, 39, 50, or 100 round, they all insert the same. They had 13.5 inch barrels that again, to my knowledge were not threaded, just equipped with a press on ring sight ... If you want to install a cutts type compensator it should be pinned. (You won't want it flying off the barrel)

#3 deerslayer

deerslayer

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 1996 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:03 PM

The 39 round drums were originally made in Japan for the mgc toy guns... And numrich used them.. they will work better if you handload and insert the bullets a little deep. The back of the rotor takes up some space.

A new kahr type smooth comp should fit on and be able to be pinned in place.

#4 CaptMax

CaptMax

• Regular Group
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:WWII Firearms and military armor

Posted 19 February 2020 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the fast response guys, it is much appreciated. Verified today that the first batch of these from 1977 were steel receivers, they changed to aluminum shortly after. I found a Cutts compensator that pins on and is available new from the factory. I should have this M5 next week and will post a few pictures once I do. It has the sweetest looking wood I have ever seen on a Thompson.