27a1 Range Report

After having my Kahr 27A1 out on the range 3 times since it's return from PK, everything seems great.

1st. time out the extractor broke, after about 300 rounds of Wolf ammo.

Had a few feeding problems, but I never sent any mags for PK to work with. He advised on how to make the adjustments for this gun.

Paul installed a 10.5" bbl, re-chambered it, checked for headspace, and zeroed the site for 50 yards POI. Polished the feed ramps, and also reshaped the mag. catch that I had butchered with the dremel and ball peen hammer. (yes I came from that school where if it don't werk get a bigger hammer)

2nd. with new GI extractor flawless, busting big rocks into little ones. A few hundred more rounds of Wolf.

3rd. today 6/20/04 shot up the last 150 rounds of Wolf, great groups, and high energy at 125 yards shooting a 3' diameter steel plate. (Ladder site raised)

The 27 is keeping tighter groups than my .22 on a bench rest!

Wolf ammo is all used up, now it's strictly brass cased 230gr ball ammo.

I've fired 600 rounds of Wolf since it's return from PK, the gun is flawless, and tight.

Since it's return I've replaced the front grip with a highly grained, Colt style from Dan Block, and plan on replacing the stock with a non-crossbolt style in the fall.

Even have the X drum working. Hint:

Count the loud clicks not the little ones.

Worcester L runs like a top!

I guess from here my only direction is FA.

What a go, Jack! A gun that looks as good as yours has to shoot flawless. I thought I had the only ugly looking mag catch. I blame it on those small files.

Glad it's good!

LOL. I had to find out that "loud clicks" on the drum thing the hard way too. I couldn't figure out why the damn thing wouldn't work and was just butchering my hands in the attempt. Once I realized that there are clicks and there are CLICKS, then everything was good. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Jack,

Have to add that I finally took mine out and put 100 rounds through it,

WW 230 gr ball... after getting it back from PK months ago.

OUTSTANDING!! Flawless action, and in the words of PK,

"It hits what I point it at"!!

He's the man.

Your gun is beautiful. They all are when he get's his hands an them...

Zamm

Mr. Crow; Did he do anything with the rear sight, so-called, 'v' notch part ?

I imagine he must have a standard alteration for that..............jw

Sgt. Fox,

I agree, drum jams are a nightmare. Touchy as well! You either have to pry the bullet free, or back it into the drum. Not as easy as a straight mag. that you can simply remove.

junglewalk,

I don't know exactly what he did to the site. PK just asked if I wanted it

0 at 50. Made any needed adjustments, and test fired it.

I'd love to put a Lyman on it, but it just shoots too darn good as it is.

To bad our state won't allow the use of semi's for hunting. Although the .45 is a tad much for squirrels! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

The 27 now also accepts snap caps. Before PK's touch, they would stick in the chamber.

Jack--

Since you have the smaller cocking knob, you mentioned about building a device to make it easier to pull back the bolt. Did you try it out? Did it work ok?

Sgt.,

Yep! I made one a simple little thing that reminds me of a lawn mower pull.

It's a piece of mm climbing gear rope that is used for stringing protection chalks.

I simply made a loop an went around a piece of maple dowel, then painted it black. The rope is stiff and thin enough that it stays below the bulge of the actuator knob.

It makes things a lot easier for skinny little guys like me!

Visualize me at 146 lbs. and 6 foot tall! That's lean!

http://home.ptd.net/~wolfen/thompson/cocker.jpg

Isn't there someone working on new softer springs to sell that make it easier to operate the bolt? I know I read something about that before... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/unsure.gif

Sgt Fox--

That is correct. Dave began this project some time ago. I'm not sure where he is with it now, but I believe he plans to get back to it, when he's not as busy. I think he'll make a bundle of money on such a desirable item. It would certainly be well worth it to us 27 owners.