Wolf Ammo

Hi, I am not very familar with the Thompsons that Auto Ordanance is making. But, I am reading and finding out what I can. as, I am planning on buying one in the near future. As far as ammunition goes can anyone tell me if steel cased wolf ammo would function ok ? I am not sure . But I know it is cheaper that brass ammo.. I am familar that brass cases expand in the chamber during detonation. But steel , I do not think they do. I know that steel works great in an Ak but I am not so sure with a Thompson. If anyone can advise me on this topic I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

I've fired thousands of rounds of Wolf in my '28 A.O. Bridgeport with very few problems. I chipped the corner off an ejector on one occasion http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif probably due to the steel casings, but those are cheap parts. I used to have some fun cleaning out the chamber after shooting the OLD Wolf (Lacquer coated)...that took some fair amounts of elbow grease!!

Now with the new polymer coating I can shoot a thousand rounds without cleaning (provided I add a few drops of CLP every three hundred rounds or so....

Brasss cases do expand in a chamber if given the time to do so, but at 11-12 rounds a second, it doesn't matter in a Thompson because the casing doesn't really ever stop moving....it's in and on it's way out a fraction of a second later!!

The stuff is dirty ammo. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/ohmy.gif It smokes a lot and fouls the compensator (I use welding anti-spatter spray to make this cleanup easier) BUT you can buy a thousand rounds for $140 and that gets you more to shoot.

I know there are several purists here who wuldn't think of putting russian ammo in a fine US gun, but I bought this gun o shoot, and the more I can shoot it the happier I am!!

Give it a try....I think you'll be pleased.

john

Hey, Thanks for your replys. The Thompson that I am looking to buy is from Khar Arms/ Auto Ordance. Not an $$$$ full Auto TSMG. Forget about an AK! From the replys that you have given me I think I can use a combination of wolf and PMC brass cased ammo. If you check out prices@ Wal-Mart, PMC 230 grain FMJ is $20.00 for 100 rounds. So between the two I can afford an afternoon of plinking. Thanks! JoJo http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I have used and currently use Wolf ammo in my WH Thompson regularly. I would estimate that my gun has seen at least 10-12k of it with no problems.

I have broken one extractor since I've owner the gun but that was early on before I started using Wolf and have not broken one since.

Wolf ammo functions flawlessly in my gun and is actually very accurate out of it.

It IS reloadable by the way, I've reloaded lots of it in the past with great results.

If you want an inexpensive practice ammo, try a couple of boxes of it and see how it runs in your gun. If it works, the savings you recognize will more than pay for enough extractors to last you a lifetime.

Why run cheap ammo in an expensive gun? If you have read between the lines on the previous posts from the guys that love it the same things keep appearing. They say Ive shot thousands of rounds and only broke this or that and its dirty but welding spray helps and it dosent jam as bad now then before. What they are actualy saying and not realizing it is they are making excuses for using junk imported ammo instead of something that may cost a little more but will work. There is always a reason one product is more expensive then another and it usally has to due with workmanship or the materials used to manufacture it. We carry it at work and once most guys look at a wolfe cartdrige they put the box back on the shelf and go for another product. The guys that do buy the wolfe say they are just burning it through a cheap gun and to be able to pull the trigger a few more times for the same money and accuracy and function are not what they are looking for.

QUOTE (guy sajer @ Mar 4 2006, 10:12 AM)
Why run cheap ammo in an expensive gun?

I'm cheap and it works for me . http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Because they are expensive by market only maybe... Do you really think and MAC 10 or a Sten has 4K worth of quality? Or a Thompson M1 15K?

Because they are expensive by market only maybe... Do you really think and MAC 10 or a Sten has 4K worth of quality? Or a Thompson M1 15K?

Not sure what you're referring to exactly ? Wolf ammo in an expensive gun ??

Like a 2006 minted silver eagle rated MS69 containing about $9-10 of silver sells for $70 ? I guess it's whatever the market will bear .

Sorry , you lost me .

I blew my original AO M-1 Thompson up with Wolf Ammo. Bought a box of 500 rounds. The third cartridge out of the first mag Blew the bolt back, bent the extractor 180 degrees around, thus jamming the bolt to the rear. It also blew a half inch chunk of metal off the bottom of the bolt from the face back. Luckily no damage to the reciever, but it did cost me over $100 to replace all the damaged parts!

I will never use Wolf in any of my Full Auto's again! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

QUOTE (TheGunny @ Mar 4 2006, 09:33 PM)
I blew my original AO M-1 Thompson up with Wolf Ammo. Bought a box of 500 rounds. The third cartridge out of the first mag Blew the bolt back, bent the extractor 180 degrees around, thus jamming the bolt to the rear. It also blew a half inch chunk of metal off the bottom of the bolt from the face back. Luckily no damage to the reciever, but it did cost me over $100 to replace all the damaged parts!

I will never use Wolf in any of my Full Auto's again! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/mad.gif

How do you figure that is the fault of the ammo? Sounds like it fired out of battery to me.

QUOTE (guy sajer @ Mar 4 2006, 05:27 PM)

Not sure what you're referring to exactly ? Wolf ammo in an expensive gun ??

Like a 2006 minted silver eagle rated MS69 containing about $9-10 of silver sells for $70 ? I guess it's whatever the market will bear .

Sorry , you lost me .

I was just addressing the fact that even though guns are expensive to buy, they are still cheap guns worthy of cheap ammo.......