Historic Headstamps

Many of us have participated in exhausting the recently re imported 45acp ammunition from Russia. I have used up about 10 tins and would open the boxes and transfer the loose ammo into GI cans for use. In doing so, I discovered that the ammo was packed up or down in alternating rows and when the top was cut from the box I could view half of the head stamps. Curiosity got the better of me and I started putting an example of each headstamp I encountered into a compartmented plastic cartridge box; this is what I ended up with.

EC 42

ECS 42

FA 41

FA 42

W.R.A. 45 A.C.

W.R.A.CO. 45A.C.

WCC 41

WCC 42

RA 41

RA 42

R*A 42

REM-UMC 45ACP

WESTERN 45 AUTO

It is obvious we sent anything we could get our hands on to them at the time.

Of the 10 cans (7,560 rds) I only had two misfires, both WRA headstamps.

If anyone encountered any not listed, please add to the pot.

I only regret we were not able to re import the beautiful guns that were meant to fire these cartridges. At least the ammunition got to fulfill a measure of its purpose some 60 years later.

Pk, I picked up a can of 45's from Sportsman's Guide the other day. 600 round can, but haven't opened it up yet. I'll let you know when I do.

Here is what I found out of several packs.

The following head stamps were chronographed and the average velocity is listed in feet per second.

W.R.A. 45 A.C. 918 FPS

WESTERN 45 AUTO 926

REM-UMC 45 ACP 973

FA 41 Not tested, only found one of these and wanted to save it.

FA 42 964

WCC 41 941

WCC 42 904

W.R.A.CO 45 A.C. 938

RA 41 929

RA 42 852

I posted this once on the old board I think.

Dan

Ops, I'v been shootin the stuff so fast...who looks at the head stamp...after all the smoke I can't see anyway! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/laugh.gif

Mike, the Russian repack stuff is gone. It was US ammo re packaged in 756 rd Russian tins and was obviously a mixture of headstamps.

I believe the ammo you will receive is all Winchester and will be packed in US GI 50 rd boxes in the standard US 600 rd tin. There was also some EC steel case available in the same packaging.