Crosby "L" Drum

I was checking out this Crosby "L" drum tonight. I am really curious as to what you drum RKI's think. It's still in "a" / "the" box with a little hen scratching on it. Think it could be the original box that it came in? Also curious to know if you guys think it is all correct. I bought it somewhere many years ago. Thanks for looking.

crosby1.JPG

crosby2.JPG

crosby3.JPG

crosby4.JPG

crosby5.JPG

crosby6.JPG

crosby7.JPG

crosby8.JPG

crosby9.JPG

Firearm,

Yes, the drum looks all correct, including the silver rotor and reversed rivets on the winding key. It is hard to tell from the pics, but is the finish painted black or blued?

This is the first example of these drums. The second has a blued rotor, and all second examples I have seen have been blued.

The box looks different from other WWII vintage boxes I have seen, but the stamp with only the 1928 winding instructions appears to be period correct, so I am guessing the box came with the drum originally. Is it possible to send me some more pics of the box, both inside and outside?

Thanks for sharing.

Roger

• Upvote 1

While the box may be period correct, I doubt that drum came in that box.

Purely speculation on my part, but that drum is pretty worn, and has an obvious dent repair. I find it highly unlikely that someone back in the day would have used the drum that much and still kept the box.

Most boxes were disposed of after being opened in the old days. No one could have imagined the value of a cardboard box 80 years later.

Firearm,

Yes, the drum looks all correct, including the silver rotor and reversed rivets on the winding key. It is hard to tell from the pics, but is the finish painted black or blued?

This is the first example of these drums. The second has a blued rotor, and all second examples I have seen have been blued.

The box looks different from other WWII vintage boxes I have seen, but the stamp with only the 1928 winding instructions appears to be period correct, so I am guessing the box came with the drum originally. Is it possible to send me some more pics of the box, both inside and outside?

Thanks for sharing.

Roger

Evening Roger,

Thank you for that gem of information, silver and blued Crosby rotors, I am always adding to my knowledge of the Thompson gun, thank to this board.

Stay safe

Richard

Firearm,

Thanks for sharing.

Roger

It has a painted finish, not blued. My 2 cents is that this is the original box that is was shipped in. I see no reason that someone would have taken the time to re-package it. In any case, I have taken quite a few jpegs of the interior and exterior of the box. I would be most curious to hear what you think.

crosby10.JPG

crosby11.JPG

crosby12.JPG

crosby13.JPG

crosby14.JPG

crosby15.JPG

crosby16.JPG

crosby17.JPG

As mentioned above, I have not seen a box like that with the Crosby drum. It is certainly possible that the Crosby box is original. I just don't know how or when it was used.

The following pics are of a standard WWII box. It is a slip case style. I have observed both Seymour and United Specialties drums brand new in these boxes. Numrich was shipping NIB WWII drums in this box at least through 1958 based on one I have with that postal date.

IMG_4247.JPGIMG_4248.JPGIMG_4249.JPGIMG_4253.JPG

These WWII boxes are identical in style to an original box that contained a NIB numbered L-drum from John's Machine in Cleveland.

IMG_4254.JPGIMG_4255.JPG

The following pics are a later design from Numrich that uses extended folded ends in place of the slip case design. it uses the square insert cardboard on the key side the same as was used in the above two boxes. It also has the Numrich numbering for their L-drums that has continued to the current iteration of the drums. Note that the cross-hatched tape is identical to that shown on the Crosby drum case. This may or may not be significant. I do not know when Numrich began using this style of box. It contained a NIB Seymour drum, but I do not know whether that drum originally came in this box.

IMG_4258.JPGIMG_4272.JPGIMG_4273.JPGIMG_4274.JPG

Edited by TSMG28