The Slam At The End Of Fifty

Most of the Thompson handbooks caution not to let the bolt slam forward on an empty chamber. I heard or read somewhere last week that a snap cap or similar dummy round can be used in drums to prevent the bolt from closing on an empty chamber. What precautions, if any, do you guys use when shooting drums?

Rob

The Irish love Tommy Guns too.

I take no precautions in this regard. If you sit in front of the TV and slap the bolt at Dan Rather & other spurious characters all evening, night after night it would not be good. You will not damage your TSMG by the bolt closing empty after a drum is exhausted, it’s tougher than that.

PK:

My sentiments exactly. I will, however, stop taking blank shots at Taliban Dan....

Let 'er slam, hell I've blasted I don't know how many drums, and it still works great. They were made to do so. Like Pk,Rust and RonA say, watch Fox news and you won't want to slam a full load at the screen or Tali Dan( I use to like that guy).

I've seen some drums with one of the rotor ends broken off. It was explained to me that as the last shot was fired the bolt could (understand, odds must be very high on this!) COULD possibly hit one of the rotor ends square enough to break it off.

I've ran my drum many times and never had a problem or any breakage (or any damage from slamming the bolt home on that last shot) BUT am curious to find out if anyone has ever broken a rotor this way, or seen it happen??

Anyone??

john http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

Load snap caps as the last two rounds...that would stop the drum from unwinding. I've never had a problem...then again Merle just fixed two of my drums, one had a broken spring. the other had a bent rotor..Looks like to me the only way the rotor would touch the bolt is if the rotor arms were bent out. But then I guess they would be dragging on the drum http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/wink.gif

That little wobble at the end indicates the rotor is moving under the closed bolt. Don't overwind or drum will experienc a BIG wobble that is not good for the spring.

Hi Gang, I thought about snapping a cap or 2 when hillary was on tube. Seems as of late it is like waiting on a big buck to show up in your sights. Has anybody thought what would have become of this country if it was run by the likes of her or algore, or how close it got to reality last time. We sure have a lot of losers in this country. I live in MS where we have the perverted primary elections where you can not vote for the candidate of choice, you have to vote democrap ticket or gop, no other option, in last round you are finally allowed to vote for your choice. Mike