New Mfg Thompson Vertical Grips (Be wary of repro!)

"Dan Block hand makes exquisite replacement walnut woods for all Thompson models. Dan is "Deerslayer" on this board, and can be reached using the internal e-mail system."

And he's a heck of a nice guy.

Edited to say:

Didn't mean Dan was making these. I was suggesting to buy from Dan and not this guy. Dan is right here in the heart of the US of A.

Edited by full auto 45

These are not made by Dan Block. These are made by an individual in Italy. To my knowledge, they are not marked to indicate they are reproduction grips, and we should be wary of them potentially becoming represented as original.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

This is the same fellow that sold the previous "original grips" on ebay, I had a file from him to 3D print a couple, they are exact, I made a walnut grip for myself on the CNC but to avoid it ever getting viewed as original made it in 2 halves glued together, these for sale appear to be one solid piece,

looking at the grip bar area there is what appears to be a odd pattern which is not typical router or machine marks, more like a plastic printed fill pattern. there is a wood like product available for 3D printing, it can be sanded and stained just like wood.

now I would question the earlier so called original ones he sold, buyer beware on these items for sure they will get into the chain.

As Full Auto 45 says, Dan Block is the guy on these, see no reason to take a chance on one of these knockoffs. Dan is very reasonable, working on a project for me right now.

• Upvote 1

This is the guy who ripped off several board members out of many hundreds of dollars as trying to pass these off as originals. He was banned from this site. Do business with him if you like, but I wouldn't have anything to do with him.

Mike hammer

• Upvote 2

looking closer at the ones he pictures, the view from the top clearly shows the infill of 3d printing, look at the screw hole and its clearly ringed typical of 3d printing finally side view looks like wood grain but very layered, my best guess these are not walnut but the wood like material and printed sanded and stained.

a question to ask would be what is the weight, printed with a infill of say 30% would be less than half the weight of a real wood one, defiantly have a odd feel

the other give away its not stated made in wood just walnut stained (plastic)

Edited by laurencen

I believe Dan makes the best modern reproduction grips for the Thompson gun.

Dan, do everyone a favor and post your current prices for grips and butt stocks along with the different grades of wood you offer. The wood on my West Hurley always receives compliments!

​Regarding the ebay auction, I am not too keen on ordering reproduction Thompson wood from Italy.

The eBay ad indicates only two of each model produced but the Gunbroker ad indicates 5.

Funny that as much time as the seller spent on the board he indicates that nobody makes a good grip and his examples are the first. Dans are the best. I also understand Richardson grips are very nice too, although no longer in production.

Ron

Andrew, the rings are the lay down of the plastic, that hatching finish inside the grip slot is what we call support bridging, it supports the plastic extruded from drooping across the slot

these printers are changing the markets, I do not understand why the add does not clearly state its printed, years ago a reproduction would be carved from wood but these days one never knows, this example would take 3 to 4 hours to print, 8 if he prints them in pairs and a hour finishing, his cost in materials $10.00 so not a bad profit,

Edited by laurencen

Andrew, the rings are the lay down of the plastic, that hatching finish inside the grip slot is what we call support bridging, it supports the plastic extruded from drooping across the slot

these printers are changing the markets, I do not understand why the add does not clearly state its printed, years ago a reproduction would be carved from wood but these days one never knows, this example would take 3 to 4 hours to print, 8 if he prints them in pairs and a hour finishing, his cost in materials $10.00 so not a bad profit,

TSMGguy - didn't see the GunBroker add. lol

You guys got better eyes than me for catching that. So I guess there is no worry about them being mistaken for an original. At least up close.

...So I decided to contact the seller and got a reply pretty fast. Apparently it is printed in a special type of printable wood fiber that takes about 12 hours to make. Interesting what technology can do.

Andrew