Bulge or Something Else

huggytree

there is a clear bulge all the way around and it is discolored in a red tint. color change is more dramatic in person

i find the location odd for a squib. right at the end and right at the punch mark on the compensator...is it possible this is from punching the compensator and was like this from 1942? looking down the barrel i see no bulge. gun is near mint/barely used

1ywOsyZ.jpg

Edited by huggytree

The punch mark is behind the threads on the one's I've seen , so that puts it about 1/2 inch from the barrel's end . A thight fitting patch should be able to detect a buldge if it's there . I would think the flash hider was a smidge over sized and it's been that way all this time .

Chris

what would make the color shift? i find that the most interesting. the bulge is mostly on the sides where youd expect it from the impact pushing on the bottom. what are the odds that the bulge would exactly be centered on that punch mark? im going to try the patch test..get it tight and see if its opened up more. the bulge is enough that you can easly feel it with your fingers. id think it would show equally inside what i see outside. i have a replacement compensator that matches the finish 100%, so if my comp gets damaged someday i can swap it out and correct the bulge

It's a hot blued gun. Sometimes thinner sections of metal get just enough hotter than the rest of the part to change the way they react with the bluing salts. Nothing to worry about. The "bulge" is most likely a tolerance stackup. The probability of bulging the last 1" of barrel is pretty near zero.