Broad Head Armory M1 to M2 Conversion Kit

Anyone know anything about these conversion kits?:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=26857&query=retrieval

I got a recent email that CMP was selling some M1's which made me this about buying an M1.

Robert

RT,

Are you thinking this may not be legitimate? In other words, look at the Form 4 to verify it's transferable.

BTW, I know nothing about these but a while back starting thinking about a C&R M2 (seems like a nice collectible).

Robert

Those are legit and were made by other C2's as well as broadhead. The combination of parts is registered much like any other conversion device except that these have multiple pieces. Most of the pieces are not numbered either. They are a pretty good deal and I missed two for sale last year under 4K. If I didn't have a factory marked M2 that would be my second choice since all the M1's are essentially just conversion pieces married to one gun and as the seller states these can be put in any M1. If carbines were popular they'd fetch 15K easily.

Thanks for the information. I used to collect carbines years ago, still have them but have not kept up with the various ways to have a full auto other than a true M2.

Also had checked with a friend of mine who works for an agency that is in the regulation side of this and his reply was - "The “registered piece” is the combination of parts in their entirety." The ad was a bit misleading to me where it said only the disconnector lever was the registered part.

Those are legit and were made by other C2's as well as broadhead. The combination of parts is registered much like any other conversion device except that these have multiple pieces. Most of the pieces are not numbered either. They are a pretty good deal and I missed two for sale last year under 4K. If I didn't have a factory marked M2 that would be my second choice since all the M1's are essentially just conversion pieces married to one gun and as the seller states these can be put in any M1. If carbines were popular they'd fetch 15K easily.

I think what he means is the disconnector is the numbered part which which was a common part to apply the info to,and nice in the fact that the other parts can be replaced if broken. Indeed one word, registered vs. numbered is sort of a game changer, though I have seen the kits sold missing some of the parts.....never the numbered one though. When they approved all these "conversion" type parts back in the day it added a lot of "machineguns" to the registry and the rules are not all exactly the same as a real gun, since obviously they are not firearms. That was really a plus for us.

Only one part has the markings and IS the registered part in a trigger kit. There are 7 parts that make up these kits. You can replace any part but the registered part at any time.

There are still other parts needed to complete the

M2. You will need a trigger housing that has the 9 spring slot and you will need a M2 slide. A round bolt is also a good idea as it slows the rate of fire. BTW, the round bolt is not a M2 bolt.

It was introduced about a year before they started M2 production. It was a production shortcut as it was easier to make than the flat bolt.

Even though the CMP has these Carbines at a reasonable price, once they are sold, the price will go up on these. They are already selling at &1000+ on the open market.

You don't beat up Carbines anymore. Not like the old days when you dumped mag after mag.

most of the M2's out there are not original. Only Winchester and Inland made them. Mine has a high serial number but is an over stamp and was made by Rock Island just before

the 86 ban

Edited by n64atlas

• 1 month later...

The problem you run into is the cost of a M1 Carbine now. You are looking at $600 minimum to over $3000 for an unmolested WWII configured

M1. Then you put the kit in these and start to beat it to death. I would look for a commercial receiver M1 that takes a military trigger group.

You will need a M2 slide to complete the build. I can't remember if this kit had the trigger housing. A round bolt will also help slow the rate of fire down

a bit. Years ago, you could get M1 carbines for $120. This made the kits popular. Now M1 carbines are very collectible. Prices are rising fast as the CMP

Carbines are pretty much sold out.

Anyone know anything about these conversion kits?:

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds/index.cgi?db=nfafirearms&website=&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=26857&query=retrieval

I got a recent email that CMP was selling some M1's which made me this about buying an M1.

Robert

I almost got burned on a Broadhead Armory M2 kit. I bought from a guy in Ohio, Mr. Rodney Cody (yes I still remember you). It transferred to my dealer,but when he tried to transfer it to me it was denied.

Mr Cody just said "too bad" and refused to refund my $400.00. I called ATF, but no one would tell me what the problem was...Fast forward 10+ years later, I saw an ad for a dealer selling another one. I called and discovered that when the kits were registered the paper work only stated "auto-connector" and did not specify any model of gun it was for. As a result people were using the serial numbers on everything from UZI bolts to BMG side plates. There is a good ending...ATF started approving the kits for transfer, and fortunately my dealer still had the kit in his possession and I sold it for $4000.00 (thanks Rodney) BTW Mr. Cody also stated all the parts were U.S. GI, they were not. But to finally answer the question...they work, the disconnect lever is the controlled part with a serial number etched on it with an electric pencil.

BTW My quest for an M2 carbine continued after the kit transfer was denied and I found a Winchester M2 for $550.00, yes that figure is correct $550.00.

I would have to dig out the form to be sure, but it was in the mid 1980s, it was advertised in Shotgun News, I was the first one to call (no email then) and said I would take it.

The gun was in Rhode Island at a C3 dealer's shop. (yes I still have it)

The owner called me back later in the day and tried to wiggle out of the deal. After he received a lot of phone calls offering him more money, he realized that he advertised it way under market.

But he kept his word and sold it to me.

I bought an M16A1 the same way. Dealer advertised it too low, but again kept his word despite several other trying to buy it out from under me with higher offers. (that doesn't always happen)

For some reason I used to get the Shotgun News before most people, and got some deals because of it...like a pile of UD42 magazines for $15.00 each.

The Shotgun News was were all C3 items were bought and sold before the internet. The worst thing about SGN if you placed an ad it didn't appear for 3 weeks. But I do miss getting it three times a month and perusing through it. My wife often complained that there were so many of them laying around the house. Also the ink would come off the pages and stick to your hands.

The old SGN, no trolls or scammers...

• 3 weeks later...

I found a Winchester all matching parts gun on Gun Broker. It is a beautiful gun. $2,000 shipped. But since I want something very nice to put the M2 kit in this is it. I don't plan on beating it to death so this makes a nice package for me.

Yo will need a M2 stock and a round bolt that headspaces up correctly. Rate of fire will be fast with the flat bolt. No rum for the M2 parts in the M1 stock without modification to a collectable stock.

You would still be better off finding a better carbine. If you break the collectable M1, who are out a larger amount of money. Carbines do break.