What Is Registered?

what exactly is the registerable part on these guns? I understand that if the receiver is marked M2, then that's that, but what of all the converted M1 carbines? granted, an M1 carbine receiver is an FFL item, but what part of all those m2 bits floating around out there is the real no-no?

I ran into a 'trigger pack' M1 Carbine this weekend. The owner claimed that the serial numbered piece in this gun was the sear, so it may have been up to the person registering, as to what part they wanted to serialize. I'm just guessing here.

As I recall, it's anything in the group that can convert it, serialed or not. There are a few parts that make 'em go. FullAuto 45 (Mike Hensley) here on the board can give you the full skinny on this one. I used to have the ATF sheet on it, but lost it, like many other things.

Better to be safe than http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif

• 11 months later...

My M2 carbine is a M1 converted to M2 status. The registered part is the receiver. The form 4 states the receiver serial number of the gun & the classification is a "machine gun". The gun is a Standard Products. Hope this helps.

Brent

• 3 weeks later...
My M2 carbine is a M1 converted to M2 status. The registered part is the receiver. The form 4 states the receiver serial number of the gun & the classification is a "machine gun". The gun is a Standard Products. Hope this helps.

Brent

I don't have the paper before me at the moment but according to it there are a set parts that even if you don't have a gun to put them in they in and of themselves constitute a machinegun; it takes this group of parts along with an M2 slide, M2 trigger housing, round bolt and stock to make it full-auto. Many M1 Carbines have those parts from an arsenal rebuild or being converted back to M1 from M2 prior to surplusing and they do not present a legality problem. It is when someone has in their possession this group of I think it is 7 parts that are not registered that problems arise. But it takes ALL 7 parts to cross that line--used to be there were quite a few people at gun shows who sold all but one at their tables--which so far as I know didn't create any problems... If this is incorrect info someone please let me know

Edited by Hnsthart

• 3 weeks later...

Info from the NFA Handbook:

M2 Carbine conversion kit

The above parts consisting of an M2 selector lever, selector lever spring, disconnector lever assembly, M2 disconnector, disconnector spring, disconnector plunger and M2 hammer are classified as a machinegun. These parts are used specifically for fully automatic fire and have no application in a semiautomatic carbine. While other parts such as an M2 sear, operating slide, trigger housing and stock are used in the fully automatic carbine, these parts are also appropriate for use in semiautomatic M1 carbines. Therefore, the M2 sear, operating slide, trigger housing and stock are not a combination of parts designed and intended for use in converting a weapon into a machinegun.

As for the marking, the most common one I am familiar with is the disconnector. Unfortunately, I have no idea where to find that in writing. It may well have been in the form of a letter response in years gone by.