Original Butt Stock Project Completed

I completed staining the NOS butt stock for my AO/Kahr M1SB yesterday and let it dry overnight. This morning I put on the butt plate I'd acquired, swapped over the sling mount and then attached the new butt stock to the rifle. It went on without any problems - I'd tested the fit before staining it yesterday - and I'm happy with the results. The oiler is filled and in it's slot.

After removing the original I thought I'd pull the butt plate (plastic) and see if, perhaps, they'd milled out an oiler slot. Interestingly, there are two holes that were started in the correct location, routed to about 1/4" deep. I wonder if they originally had plans to replicate the original with the slots and the hinged butt plate?

Stock Original Completed.jpg

Stock Original Completed CLose.jpg

Butt Plate Original.jpg

Edited by Devious6

Looks good. Now, put a thin coating of linseed oil on after the stain is good and dry. Rub the linseed oil in and let it dry for a week or so rubbing it in occasionally. Repeat this proceedure for several months until the oil doesn’t soak in. Let dry and rub out. The oil will eventually oxidize, giving the stock that nice aged reddish hue that you see on old military weapons or on the original Thompsons. I have an original Thompson detachable stock (no reinforcing bolt) on my 1927. It really looks good with the aged linseed oil finish. I have also replaced the hokey rear sight with an original Lyman 1928 sight, replaced the AO front vertical grip with a very close to original 1928 vertical front grip, modified the upper receiver to allow removal of the lower without any additional tool, and installed EZ-pull springs from Dan Block. Also modified my drum so that it runs smoothly. Shoot with no problems.