Commercial Thompson Needs Drum

Guys, This is my first post, so please advise if this is not the right place for this question. I recently got the Form 4 for an early model 1928. I believe it to be a Commercial. It came with a Crosby 30rd stick mag. I would like to get an L Drum that would be correct for the era. Is there a particular manufacturer I should look for? And where should I look or contact. A price range would also be helpful to know what would be a fair deal. Thanks. Kenny

SC, that serial number says it all. We will need some pictures though. A later Colt era drum would be fine for your early Savage. There is a drum mentioned by Doug Richardson called "The Savage Drum". It was made by USCO and has the NY address (like your gun) and U markings. I understand that they are quite rare in the US.

It's hard to take nice indoor pictures of a dark colored gun with a snapshot camera

the lens is too small to let in enough light without the flash, and the flash is too bright, it just reflects off the gun

try taking pictures of the gun in indirect sunlight, like just inside the garage with the doors open or on a porch

you need that 1.21 jigawatts of sunlight candlepower to get that small lens to make a good picture

Edited by buzz

Roger Herbst or TSMG28 is the drum expert on the Board. Here is a recent thread where the same question was asked:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16733&hl=

If TSMG28 does not chime in you may try sending him a Private Message from the Board.

You have a very nice Savage with many early features (to be expected in that serial number range). Be sure and update the disk on the buffer pilot before shooting it. The pilot is sticking out the back of the receiver quite a bit!

Do you have a history on this Savage? Please post more pictures.

Thanks!

TD, Didn't Crosby have one of the first drum contracts to the British? I know the Thompson community considers the Crosby drum to be poorly made but I feel I read somewhere that they shipped a bunch to the Brits. early on. A Crosby might be easier to find and more affordable than some others. I have a Crosby with Seymour internals. Looks the part and shoots great.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to answer all the questions the best I can. I cannot send more pics until at least this weekend. I work 12 hr swing shift. The only history I have is that the seller's father owned it for many years. It does not have any British markings on it that I see.

I too I have researched this model and can only guess that an individual originally bought it. Because it has no inventory markings or military stamps. Sorry to keep you waiting, I really didn't expect that anyone would be interested in seeing it. I was just looking for a mag. As far as the buffer goes TC, I have sent an email to Bob Massing requesting one. If he doesn't have one, do you know where to get one.

I promise to send photos if you guys promise not to beat me up when I tell you how much I paid. Thanks for not asking. My friends couldn't help themselves, so I didn't tell. I just said "A lot".

PK ( Diamond K ) has the buffer and probably anything else you might need to be replaced. Omega has a lot of WWII stuff for Thompsons, I think including the knock-off Crosby L drums. Might do a little forum search on the L drums,( China or Taiwan or wherever they were made), I was looking for a friend I think on the New West Hurley advice post. Someone had them. About $160.00 or so. Correct one for you Savage Thompson, I'm sure a LOT more. 1000s maybe. ? Keep us posted-

OCM

Banjo,

The British did contract directly with The Crosby Company for the manufacture of drums in 1940. These contracts were for 2500 and 100,000 drums. Delivery for both contracts was completed by February 1941. The British also contracted directly with Auto-Ordnance (AOC) for 185,000 drums during the same time period. I do not know the type of drum provided by AOC but delivery of these 185,000 occurred in 1940, well before the Bridgeport plant opened in August 1941. All three of the above contracts reference the second British order of 2,000 Thompson guns, made on May 14, 1940. The early Crosby drums would be correct for a 21,000 serial numbered Savage gun. I will let TSMG28 comment on the types of AOC drums that would also be correct.

sc269,

If your early Savage Thompson turns out to be what collectors refer to as a Savage Commercial Thompson, you will probably have the last laugh on your friends. That is why I wanted to know the history. Any type of military markings would most likely negate it being sold commercially by AOC in the 1940's. And another reason for wanting to see pictures. Question: Are the receiver and barrel the same color? Or is there a difference in color and finish. Please describe as pictures often times are deceptive on this point. Is there an Index line on the barrel?

Hear's the photos that I promised. I know that there was some issue of this gun being refinished.That is never been an issue with me. I've always wanted an early model Thompson. Now I have one. I believe it to be in good condition. I may have spent more then its value. But I found they were hard to come by.If by chance someone knows of one that is available at a less expense please advise because I would be interested. But only with the New York address.

I have seen the one in Okla. For 30k, but can't see 10k difference with mine.

Take a look and give me your honest opinion. I work where I found that criticism is the only way to improvement.

This set me back 20,000. But like I said earlier, there is not much to choose from. Hardly any.

I still need the correct era drum. Even if it has been refinished.

Thanks guys for your interest and help.

SC.

Sorry. Need help loading large file. Is there an option for a dozen HD pics?