What was the intended market for the BM62?

RTG Parts

Who or where was the BM62 marketed towards? I owned a BM62 a few years back. It was not exactly what I was expecting and appeared as if it was designed for a restricted marketplace. Information from this forum shows many were exported out of the USA; I wonder where to?

I now have a alpine folder BM59. Awesome rifle. Of course I found it about 5 minutes after selling out of the BM59 mags we had been selling.

post-260365-0-51001200-1452529490_thumb.jpg

Thats a nice one Robert.

The import Beretta made BM62's were in a less military looking configuration. Synthetic butt pad, no provision for grenade launcher and an un-ported muzzle device.

I'm sure this was to please some bureaucrat.

I would not chalk those changes up to a marketing decision as much as the importers had to figure out how to market what was importable.

This place is pretty quiet these days. I hope you get some substantive responses.

JR

The BM69 was imported earlier than the BM 62. The BM 69 was very similar to the BM62 except the BM69 lacked the stripper clip guide. At the time of the BM69 importation the ATF had to rule if it was a Sporting Weapon per GCA68. To get this approval the grenade launcher, ported muzzle break, stripper clip guide and military butt plate were deleted.

• 2 months later...

The BM62 was also made for the (then) heavily restricted Italian market but in 270 calibre and nicely polished and blued.

Interestingly the Italian authorities have just (and I mean just) allowed the release of genuine BM-59's converted to semi auto only!

I have seen pallets of them and a lot are almost new and unused!!

BTW, I have two BM-59's and two BM-62's in storeage with a buddy in the USA that I'm thinking of selling, any idea of the market value these days?

Cheers,

Vic