• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#181 OCM

OCM

Outlaw History Expert - Respected Member

• Board Donor
  • 2245 posts
  • Interests:Classic cars used by the 1930s outlaws,
    Collecting outlaw artifacts from the 30s, Brewing, BBQ ribs, old aircraft, massive tinkering, Etc....

Posted 25 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

Pet-1

I really don't know either, as Chuck says the picture shows a L drum. Van was outside with a Thompson in a basket as a lookout, possibly had a L drum in there. Brainerd was cold that morning, about freezing. This is why I guess they/others tended not to use a drum hidden beneath the heavy overcoats. To bulky. They were using a Buick ( stolen) as a get- a -way car, these were big cars in the day- Guys loaded with Thompsons, big heavy overcoats, $$ bags sometimes hostages . Not Terraplanes, these were the personal cars. Fast.

I can't remember but Dillinger was robbing a bank or something and his L drum dropped out of the gun, so I guess they did use drums sometimes.

The Nelson Thompsons at Little Bo had L drums as did the one Van had there, actually Dillinger's Thompson.      

#182 colt21a

colt21a

Respected Member

• Regular Group
  • 3575 posts
  • Interests:Whatever we can do in Life

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

I would assume they would go in with a 20 in the gun and a spare in pocket.since easy to carry no rattling around and easy to conceal. And they figured won't be much to rob, And if any guards acted up 20 rounds or so would control anything. and had drums in car for back-up.I think the last bank was robbed with a Thompson around 1957/58 era. And I know in Markham IL. they had a MP-40 they captured from a guy robbing a bank.I sold that one to Peter Kokalis decades ago. He returned it to the dealer saying it was two worn for his collection. Stupid move it had History attached to it. Anyhow back to the Thompson's.

Colt21aRon 

#183 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2245 posts
    Collecting outlaw artifacts from the 30s, Brewing, BBQ ribs, old aircraft, massive tinkering, Etc....

Posted 07 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Been working with the Brainerd- Crow County- Historical Society on the Nelson robbery. I asked my contact there if by chance there were bullet holes on the building. He came back today, I think personally checked it out, that there are still bullet holes on the outside of the building that used to be the bank and on the ceiling.

Good damn chance these were shot from Colt Chopper's Thompson. There is also a chance they will be doing a story on the event now, based on Colt Chopper's Thompson , in the local newspaper- Hoping to stir up some activity. Never know what will pop up. Bullets, stories, what the bank did with the Thompson etc.

When Colt Chopper gets back from his trip to Paris to visit relatives, be going over this further- Keep you posted on any events.

OCM 

#184 ghostsoldier

ghostsoldier

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 489 posts
  • Interests:WW2 history, gangsters, Public Enemies and G-Men history

Posted 07 November 2017 - 01:53 PM

It would be cool to climb into the ceiling of the bank, and see if any of the bullets were still lodged in the woodwork.

Rob

#185 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2245 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:38 PM

yes it would, story has it they drove away from the bank, firing Thompsons from the Buick, shooting the hell out of everything, even stopping to toss spent brass out of the car. Be interesting if someone there still has some slugs that could be traced to CC's Thompson. One of the locals has a piece of the original ceiling with holes in it, that's displayed I think at his business there.

#186 full auto 45

full auto 45

Respected Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 4608 posts
  • Interests:Thompson's, Any Machinegun, Harley's and scuba diving. In that order.

Posted 07 November 2017 - 05:08 PM

The owner of the shop in what was the bank building has the tiles, so I read on their page. I told CC we need to make a drive, or a friend fly us, to Brainard and talk to the owner of the building. Maybe take the trophy with him. I bet we could get the local newspaper to do a story on CC (and maybe take a photo of CC) with the Tommy. 

I'll have to talk to CC when he gets back from vacation in Brazil or Fiji or something like that. 

#187 OCM

OCM

• Board Donor
  • 2245 posts

Posted 07 November 2017 - 06:29 PM

You guys should, do St Paul, Bennet Apartment , or they have a St Paul gangster  tour you can go on. I'd of already done that a week after CC pulled the Barrel. He seemed VERY interested in doing something like that when we talked Monday- Make him go.............

#188 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 552 posts

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:03 PM

Been gone all summer with planning daughters wedding down in Texas. Now this is interesting as my family history is huge in Brainerd. In fact, I'll be headed up tomorrow for the end of deer season....we own property there and I know Brainerd well.
I'd be interested in possibly chaufferring some of you'se mugs around to check this all out.....very interesting stuff here!