Help Me Out On This Please...

Talked to the dealer in AL that is transferring my M1 to my dealer in Tx today. Neither one of us are really "up" on the TSMG like we'd like to be - yet (still waiting for my copy of American Thunder to arrive).

I was under the impression that it is an AO M1. He was going over the markings that are present on it and he said that on the bottom of the receiver forward of the mag well is an "S" stamp. No US Property marking but, sounds like there are are inspector marks on the side flats of the front of the receiver. The "bullet" mark is on the top also. Auto Ordnance Corporation, Bridgeport, Connecticut, U.S.A. on right side. Thompson Submachine Gun, Caliber .45 M1, No 178241 on left side.

Were all M1/M1A1 marked Auto Ordnance Corporation, Bridgeport, Connecticut on the right side, with the "S" or "AOC" stamp underneath being the telltale mark as to who manufactured the weapon? Is my thinking correct that this is a Savage after all?

Oh,BTW, it went pending to my dealer on Feb 9. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif

Thanks

Edited by Tex

Tex,

Yes, all Thompson Submachine Guns manufactured during and prior to and during WWII were marked Auto-Ordnance Corp. on the right side of the receiver. The "S" on the underside of the receiver indicates it was made by Savage Arms Corp., but they were contracted to make them for Auto-Ordnance Corporation who owned all the rights to the gun. The recent fascination with with Savage made Thompsons continues to puzzle me. They were all produced by Auto-Ordnance Corporation of New York, N.Y. and later of Bridgeport, CT. Auto-Ordnance is the firm that owned the patents, rights and contracted with Colts and later Savage to manufacure the gun. Just prior to United States involvement in WWII Auto-Ordnance opened their own facility in Bridgeport, CT and manufactured 1928A1 and the M1 series of Thompsons. Savage had no patent rights or any other claim to the Thompson other than being contracted to manufacture them for Auto-Ordnance Corp.

and m1 is a m1> but remember the 607 or so wess/hurlee's are the really rare model's............

nice blue or parked, your choice of color wood..........wink!!

now i threw the monkey wrench into the work's..........

good luck with the new tommy...........have fun,long life,RON