My First Thompson M1928A1 Savage

Hello everyone.

I am new to this forum and this is my first post.

I thought I would share my new pride With you all.

This particular example has a matching upper and lower receiver and all the internals from what I can see are marked"S"

Would anyone be able to tell me the year it was built serial no :S435400

Some of you maybe able to tell if the barrel is original and if the selector switch and safety switch are original?

Thanks for your help

Andrew

post-260119-0-62786100-1441537233_thumb.jpg

post-260119-0-44641200-1441537258_thumb.jpg

post-260119-0-76764900-1441537274_thumb.jpg

post-260119-0-56924600-1441537292_thumb.jpg

post-260119-0-99701400-1441537312_thumb.jpg

post-260119-0-57042800-1441537350_thumb.jpg

post-260119-0-35795800-1441537381_thumb.jpg

post-260119-0-28561200-1441537510_thumb.jpg

Would anyone be able to tell me the year it was built serial no :S435400

Some of you maybe able to tell if the barrel is original and if the selector switch and safety switch are original?

Andrew, very nice Savage production Thompson. The barrel looks Savage proofed and marked correctly on top, zero carbon fouling in the compensator makes me think it hasn't been shot much if at all. Everything appears correct for a production M1928A1 including the acceptance stamps and finish. One of the nicest seen.

There is no specific serial number date/production for the Savage or Bridgeport prodution war guns, just time frames when different production runs changed like finned barrels to non finned barrels. Then just to keep you guessing a gun would come out with something already phased out or get changed in the field. Yours has the correct look of early 1942.

Edited by Motorcar

Thanks for the compliments , Im glad to hear that it sounds original, I have been looking for a thompson for a while now, and am just starting to learn the specifics of them

How do you tell the difference between AO And savage selector switches? is there must of a difference between the 2 ?

The barrel is nice and shiny with plenty of rifling, Unfortunetly where im from you are not allowed to shoot restricted weapons.

My next goal is to get an M1A1 but will have to wait for one to come along.

Cheers

Andrew

How do you tell the difference between AO And savage selector switches? is there must of a difference between the 2 ?

You could disassemble them from the trigger frame and look for the manufacturer's mark on them. S= Savage, AOC= Auto Ordnance, S that is squared off like a 5 is Stevens. Other than the stamped code there is no difference, parts were interchangeable.

Thanks for the compliments , Im glad to hear that it sounds original, I have been looking for a thompson for a while now, and am just starting to learn the specifics of them

The barrel is nice and shiny with plenty of rifling, Unfortunetly where im from you are not allowed to shoot restricted weapons.

My next goal is to get an M1A1 but will have to wait for one to come along.

Cheers

Andrew

New Zealand?

Oh I see, Yeah its a shame that you cant shoot them but thats the law!

thanks for the information guys. Having been reading through alot of forum posts it almost sounds like it is easier to purchase a thompson in NZ than in the States with all the paper work you have to do. I feel sorry for you guys!

Oh I see, Yeah its a shame that you cant shoot them but thats the law!

thanks for the information guys. Having been reading through alot of forum posts it almost sounds like it is easier to purchase a thompson in NZ than in the States with all the paper work you have to do. I feel sorry for you guys!

Exceptionally nice Thompson you have. Thanks for posting the photos.

For me, the purchase process is far easier to live with than to have a live gun like yours, and not be able to shoot it -ever.