Reising Titanium Firing Pins

Frank Iannamico

I have tried shortening Keystone's titanium firing pins to function as inertia firing pins to stop breakage

HOWEVER, at least once a mag in full-auto I get a light primer hit. Perhaps the titanium pins are too light to reliably function as an inertia system pins?

Has anyone had 100% success converting a titanium firing pin to the inertial system described here:

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8854

Frank,

After breaking a firing pin in both my model 50 and 60, I shortened 2 regular firing pins so they were flush with the end of the bolt.

Then I heated the front 1/2 inch of the firings pin to cherry red and quenched it in 30 weight engine oil. Next I polished the end of the pin and heated the end to a light blue , no quench.

When installed in the guns, both gave frequent failures to fire. So I bought 2 Wolf springs, which were too strong, both for me to operate, and the gun to function, so I shortened both until satisfactory.

So far both are holding up.

That's my story.

Best of luck.

Jim

RE:

I have tried shortening Keystone's titanium firing pins to function as inertia firing pins to stop breakage

OWEVER, at least once a mag in full-auto I get a light primer hit. Perhaps the titanium pins are too light to reliably function as an inertia system pins?

as anyone had 100% success converting a titanium firing pin to the inertial system described here:

Firing pin UPDATE... Well I installed a unaltered full-length titanium firing pin. But still had an occasional light firing pin hit stoppage on full-auto. Upon the stoppage I removed the stock and checked. The round was chambered, the bolt was fully closed and the hammer was against the bolt. Extracted the round and found a light firing pin hit. All the other rounds that fired had deep primer fp hits. I have replaced the springs, action bar, bolt and hammer still have the same intermittent problem. If I rechamber the same round it fires. The gun functions okay on semi-auto.

Anyone have a similar experience?

RE:

OWEVER, at least once a mag in full-auto I get a light primer hit. Perhaps the titanium pins are too light to reliably function as an inertia system pins?

as anyone had 100% success converting a titanium firing pin to the inertial system described here:

Firing pin UPDATE... Well I installed a unaltered full-length titanium firing pin. But still had an occasional light firing pin hit stoppage on full-auto. Upon the stoppage I removed the stock and checked. The round was chambered, the bolt was fully closed and the hammer was against the bolt. Extracted the round and found a light firing pin hit. All the other rounds that fired had deep primer fp hits. I have replaced the springs, action bar, bolt and hammer still have the same intermittent problem. If I rechamber the same round it fires. The gun functions okay on semi-auto.

Anyone have a similar experience?

UPDATE...

The last time I had my Reising out was a few years ago at Tracie's TSMG shoot, and I was shooting it suppressed, which as you know gets everything behind the suppressor DIRTY, well I confess that when I came home I put the gun away without cleaning it.

SO, I gave it a good cleaning and now it functions flawlessly.

Thank you for that article because it listed the year of Mfg by SN and now I know when mine was made and I found a source for a compensator replacement.

Glad it was useful, If you do a search there are a lot of old Reising articles there.

Funny story about that year of manufacture list. I tried for years to get that from ATF via contacts and the FOIA, no luck citing it was tax information. Then a Reising owner, who was a Michigan police officer, told me he had the list. He said he called ATF and they Faxed it to him.

Thank you for that article because it listed the year of Mfg by SN and now I know when mine was made and I found a source for a compensator replacement.

Glad it was useful, If you do a search there are a lot of old Reising articles there.

Funny story about that year of manufacture list. I tried for years to get that from ATF via contacts and the FOIA, no luck citing it was tax information. Then a Reising owner, who was a Michigan police officer, told me he had the list. He said he called ATF and they Faxed it to him.

That is interesting,,, mine was made in 1942 BTW