M1917 Bayonet Auction

I have one in the same condition but even at that price I would be hard pressed to sell it for no other reason than I would probably never find another affordable one in the same condition to replace it.

I have one in the same condition but even at that price I would be hard pressed to sell it for no other reason than I would probably never find another affordable one in the same condition to replace it.

Truly. That goes for just about anything I can think of anymore.

That particular seller's auctions are known for some serious bidding frenzies.

Looks like a very nice example. It's one of the post-WWI "civilian" M1917 bayonets made by Winchester in the early 1920s, primarily to supply bayonets to some of the civilian law enforcement agencies who received WWI Model 1897 trench guns (without bayonets) from Uncle Sam. Most of these seen today are in pristine condition as they saw minimal use.

• Upvote 1

Looks like a very nice example. It's one of the post-WWI "civilian" M1917 bayonets made by Winchester in the early 1920s, primarily to supply bayonets to some of the civilian law enforcement agencies who received WWI Model 1897 trench guns (without bayonets) from Uncle Sam. Most of these seen today are in pristine condition as they saw minimal use.

Thanks for pointing that out, I had not looked at the entire range of photos missed seeing the lack of acceptance marks.

All I can say is someone really wants that bayonet. Interestingly, some (but not all) of the 74 "Ivanhoe" WWI Model 1897 trench guns included the same type of bayonets and the guns (complete with the "civilian" Winchester bayonets) sold for less than the current bid price on the bayonet that is the subject of this thread! The guns were sold in an ad in Shotgun News circa 2004. The establishment that acquired the guns ("Ivanhoe") got them from the Richmond Police Dept. in a trade for some Glock pistols. The Richmond PD had gotten the guns from the Virginia National Guard via the U.S. Army in the early 1920s and acquired the bayonets from Winchester after they got the trench guns.

Edited by Bruce Canfield
  • Upvote 2

Thanks for pointing that out, I had not looked at the entire range of photos missed seeing the lack of acceptance marks.

I missed that too, interesting its worth so much without the flaming bomb stamp.

The bayonets I have go with my side collection of Model 1917 rifles. It was not that many years ago people would turn their noses up at those rifles but in recent years their value has certainly gone up. A bit over 40 years ago outside of a M16 a 1917 was the first high powered rifle I ever shot and I have liked them ever since.

Bruce, purchased your book on WWI weapons a number of years ago and have greatly enjoyed it.

The bayonets I have go with my side collection of Model 1917 rifles. It was not that many years ago people would turn their noses up at those rifles but in recent years their value has certainly gone up. A bit over 40 years ago outside of a M16 a 1917 was the first high powered rifle I ever shot and I have liked them ever since.

Bruce, purchased your book on WWI weapons a number of years ago and have greatly enjoyed it.

Thanks Roscoe. Glad you liked the book/

Jim,

If you haven't purchased Bruce's new book yet, you need to. It has newly published information on the M1917 Rifle that you will want to discuss next time we meet at a show.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Jim,

If you haven't purchased Bruce's new book yet, you need to. It has newly published information on the M1917 Rifle that you will want to discuss next time we meet at a show.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Thanks I will take a look. With my interest over the past few years shifting toward WWI I haven't looked at that book yet.