Reprinted Swedish Language Thompson Manuals / Handbooks

Many years ago, I was fortunate enough to come across Richard Karlsson, a Thompson enthusiast based in Sweden.

Richard had some interesting items for sale, including a British recoil spring tool he had bought from a contact in Norway, which I bought from him.

Recoil spring Tool.JPG Recoil spring tool in action.JPG

At the time, I also bought from Richard a reprinted copy of the Swedish language handbook, produced by Auto-Ordnance Corporation (AOC) in 1940 dated to accompany the 500 Model of 1921's bought by the Swedish Government.

I was more than happy with the quality and price paid for all the items, the original Swedish handbooks are as difficult to find as 'Rocking Horse poop'...

For those of you who have access to it, the story of Swedish Manuals is provided in Tom Davis's article on the subject, 'Swedish Thompson Manuals', published in the Small Arms Review in 2011.

Over the years, I lost contact with Richard Karlsson, but last week I noticed someone in Sweden was selling another Swedish language Thompson manual on eBay for less than $20. This was a reprint of the 1941 Thompson manual printed for the Swedish military in Sweden, so it would compliment my Swedish Language AOC handbook bought many years ago.

The same seller also lists reprints of the two different, (English language), versions of the L & C drum instruction cards, selling for the princely sum of $2.49 + shipping. Putting two & two together, I guessed the seller may be Richard Karlsson, and I was correct.

So I just ordered a copy of the manual from him, he is a gentleman to deal with.

As Swedish Thompsons are a current topic, due to the new book that has recently been published, I thought some of you may be interested in the Swedish handbook / manuals.

If anyone is interested, Richard still has a few copies of the reprinted Swedish manuals and also some of the reprinted Swedish language AOC handbooks left for sale, as well as the Drum instruction cards.

If interested, PM me and I can give you Richards email address.

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps

The reprinted copy of the Swedish Manual arrived today, very nice addition to the collection, until I find an original copy to replace it :-)

$_3-1.JPG

$_3.JPG

$_3-6.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

rpbcps,

I have been looking for an original of that Swedish manual for years. If my memory serves me correct, I only know of two in existence.

Your observations about Richard Karlsson are spot on. Richard provided me with the initial documentation I used to begin my research for the story, Colt Thompsons in Swedish Service. He is a pleasure to deal with.

​I will have a copy of this manual for sale on my table at the All Thompson Show & Shoot this upcoming weekend for those that would like to take a look.

All good stuff!!!

• 4 years later...

Richard Karlsson has just sent me a new item he has produced, a badge in the style of the current issue Swedish army qualification badges, with hook and loop backing, but features the Swedish contract Thompson 1928, the M/40.

P1140326.JPG

P1140325.JPG

It is a good quality badge, if anyone is looking for something like that.
Stay safe
Richard
Edited by rpbcps

One of my favorite Doug Richardson stories - Doug used to routinely travel to

Europe and he had some standard stops with arms dealers/enthusiasts and one

of the things he always asked this one guy (don't know who) was if he had, or could

find any of the recoil spring tools. It got to the point where the guy knew that Doug

would always ask. Then, on one trip the guy said to Doug: "I know, I know...did I find any

recoil spring tools"....(pause for effect)..."and YES! I found them!" and they both laughed.

So Doug brought them back and there are some left and I am selling them for $25 ea.

+ $4 postage. You can reach me direct at Philaord@aol.com.

Bob

IMG_9924.JPG

does this guy in sweden have an g-mail that we might contact him to order some stuff ?? just askin

check you PM

One of my favorite Doug Richardson stories - Doug used to routinely travel to

Europe and he had some standard stops with arms dealers/enthusiasts and one

of the things he always asked this one guy (don't know who) was if he had, or could

find any of the recoil spring tools. It got to the point where the guy knew that Doug

would always ask. Then, on one trip the guy said to Doug: "I know, I know...did I find any

recoil spring tools"....(pause for effect)..."and YES! I found them!" and they both laughed.

So Doug brought them back and there are some left and I am selling them for $25 ea.

+ $4 postage. You can reach me direct at Philaord@aol.com.

Bob

Nice price, I wish I had found mine at that price.

Are these British WD marked, or Norwegian Navy marked? Here is an old post on this topic: Recoil Spring Tool - Thompson Submachine Gun Message Board - MachineGunBoards.com Forums

All the best

Richard

Edited by rpbcps