Sbr Transfer Help

Hello all!

I've spent the past few weeks reading the archives and decided it's time to send my Kahr off for the SBR conversion and have some other stuff done to get it to work the way it should. What is the process? I know I will need to register it as a form 4. Do I do this before I can send it off for the barrel change? Since I already own it, can I have it shipped directly back to me when it is done? Can I take my form 4 and pick it up if it is out of state, since it is legally mine and will be registered before I pick it up? Thanks for all the great info so far!!

John

If it's your gun already, you fill out a FORM 1, "application to make an NFA firearm". When it is approved, send the gun and a copy of the approved FORM 1 to Kahr and they can convert it for you. Do nothing until you get the approved FORM 1 back from the BATF.

You can do this two ways.

First, you file a Form 1 (tax-paid aplication to build and register) in your own name, then find an SOT who will accept it and do the work. Some 'smiths will want a Form 5 (tax-free transfer), others will not...the BATF is a little sketchy on this for gunsmithing purposes. They say that for a temporary transfer for gunsmithing purposes, a Form 5 is not required, but is strongly recommended. Once the gun's done, and if a Form 5 was required by your 'smith, he'll have to file a Form 5 to transfer it back to you.

The other way to do this is send your 'smith the gun, let him SBR it on via a Form 1/Form 2, then when it's done, come back to via a Form 4 (tax paid transfer.)

Fred and Bill are correct. DO NOT get any work done on your gun until you get approval thru ATF. Don't even purchase the barrel beforehand. Some nut might say you are in constructive possession of a SBR. I think going the F1 route would be the best.

If you get an approved form 1 for your gun any 01 FFL can receive it to do the work (SOT not required). Make sure whoever you choose is competent.

It will take 3-4 months to get the form through the system; be sure you fill it out correctly or it will get kicked back and take more time. Ask questions- get the right answers.

This is the best way to do it, IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

PK,

Thanks!

A Happy New Year to you!

Thanks for the advice!

I am still waiting for my local police chief to sign off on my form 1 so I can send it to the ATF, but I wanted to let you know I would like to have you do the work getting my Kahr to shoot reliably regardless of whether or not I get approved for the short barrel conversion. I am in the process of finding some shooter quality FA 20's and 30's, and would send them to you to check spacing, etc. I would also like to replace that cast SA mag catch with a milled one to fit the FA's . What is typically involved in this as far as processes and costs? Please email me!

John