• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#41 Merry Ploughboy

Merry Ploughboy

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 1099 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:04 AM

... [T]here are a few additional complimentary tools that are very valuable to have in addition to the "Universal barrel wrench"

I believe that complementary, not complimentary is the appropriate word in the context presented.  Unfortunately, one often has to override word processing software to use the correct homonym.

Be well.

#42 mnshooter

mnshooter

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Donor
  • 2091 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 01:34 PM

xtriggerman, that is real good first hand info. A lot of people surmised what may have been going on - but you were there!

Maybe some day, and possibly at a TCA or TATA event, we could have you do a presentation about what you know and saw at West Hurley. We would love that!

2nd 

Would travel to TATA (again) just to hear that.

My West Hurley's worked perfectly. 

All I did was replace the bolt, extractor, actuator, magazine catch, rear sight, grip mount, sear, recoil spring, selector, safety, buffer pilot, and buffer.

Other than that, and sometimes a few other little tweaks -they were box stock. 

Edited by mnshooter, 04 December 2019 - 01:46 PM.

#43 xtriggerman

xtriggerman

• Regular Group
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 09:38 PM

I retired here in east TN and really don't care to travel any more. I can throw out a funny jewel once in a while tho.....  Like back in the 80's AO used to sell a 39 round XL drum mag. Little did any one know they were buying those drums directly from a Japanese company that made non firing replicas. You can tell the Jap drum by the simple bent out tabs (cartridge pushers) sticking out of the spring rotor. Those drums were never meant to take the jarring of a firing Tommy. Those mags all ways came back for replacement if they got any kind of use at all. The little tabs would just bend back into the rotor from where they were stamped out!  What a bargan for the $70 bucks they were getting back then. Crapola
 The only drum gun I have today is this one I re manufactured from a stock MPA 971. The 71 round drums are pretty heavy duty. Sorry, I'll stop diverting the OP's subject after this. Love my hobby!
hewy4mIl.jpg
Lo7ReUDl.jpg
Then the last hi cap project gun I did last year. Its the only running RPD with a HK91 FCG with a common 75 rd SAW bag.
2RleykIl.jpg
ZGifVicl.jpg

#44 john

john

Long Time RKI Member

• Regular Group
  • 719 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 10:25 PM

I have one and would be happy to take some measurements but am currently in Tucson and will be in Phoenix tomorrow for SAR show.
Maybe later this month when we're back?
john

#45 mohawk64

mohawk64

• Regular Group
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 01:21 AM

XTRIGGERMAN. I sent you a pm.

#46 Stampcollector

Stampcollector

• Board Benefactor
  • 158 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 12:44 AM

I'll take one,  put me on the list!

#47 johnnj

johnnj

• Board Donor
  • 70 posts
  • Interests:Auto Repair. Firearm Collecting And Target Shooting. Reading And Learning About NFA weapons.

Posted 06 December 2019 - 10:07 AM

Please put me on the list also. Thanks

#48 73hemicuda

73hemicuda

• Regular Group
  • 9 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 04:35 PM

I'll take one as well. Thanks 

#49 anjong-ni

anjong-ni

Long Time RKI Member

• Board Benefactor
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 December 2019 - 01:52 PM

I'm among those that prefer to clamp the barrel in barrel-blocks in the 20-ton-press and use a Stillson on the receiver.

1" blocks are commonly available. These here are made from scrap hydraulic pump housings.
They can be key-hole cut to accommodate the grip-mount.
In days passed they just slide-hammer-pulled the grip-mount and saved the barrels. When stuff was cheap.

I have to re-make all my Thompson tools. I loaned the entire set to a long-time Board-member who promptly vanished with them. ..Phil

Attached Files