Newb Question about first purchase attempt

Gents and Ladies if present,

I have been a student of this forum for a little while and my wife has finally released my "kitchen pass" for a Thompson, or really just acquiesced to my incessant badgering.

my interest is the 1928, after firing a friends, I prefer the option of the drum. I have been looking in all internet places, and have looked at the 1928AC Bridgeport advertised on Sturm by BigBore.

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/forums/index.php?/topic/12763-thompson-1928ac-bridgeport/

Any opinions on it would be accepted, I can't find any info on what if any value have "AOC" stamped internals adds.

I would also like to know if anyone has had any dealings with Big Bore and/or Adco Firearms.

Unfortunately, there is no way I can travel from Va Beach to Northern Ohio for an inspection.

Or if any one in the Commonwealth of VA, knows of a similar weapon for sale, that would be greatly welcomed.

Thanks in advance,

Andy

for $25,500 right now i think you can find an original gun w/ original finish

its got the later rear sight and a smooth barrel(which also later production). the barrel looks clean while the gun shows wear. also a late 1928 would have a horizontal grip most likely

do you want a police gun or a war gun?

early 1928(vert grip, ribbed barrel, complex rear sight) or later 1928 (horiz. grip, smooth barrel, simple rear sight)

police guns are typically cleaner, war guns have more wear and are harder to find original finish/matching

Edited by huggytree

Hi Andy,

Welcome to the Board as a poster :)

No. 150969x looks like a run of the mill 1928AC sold by Auto-Ordnance Corporation/Maguire Industries, Inc. during the 1943 to 1946 time frame. If the property sticker on the butt stock is correct, the original purchaser was the Albany, Georgia Police Department. That information is good to know and provides the new owner a place to turn should they desire more information about this Thompson gun. I would recommend filing a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request before contacting the department.

The 1928AC is a common Thompson variation that was sold primarily to law enforcement organizations after the production of the Model of 1928A1Thompson was discontinued (for the M1 Thompson). When Auto-Ordnance Corporation re-organized in 1944 and changed names to Maguire Industries, Inc., the Thompson gun became one of many products of this newly organized corporation under Russell Maguire. The Thompson gun was sold in the Auto-Ordnance Division with long time Auto-Ordnance employee George E. Goll as division president. Original IRS Form 5's will sometimes show Maguire Industries, Inc., Auto-Ordnance Division. Very little documentation exists during this period. It is believed Goll assembled left over parts manufactured by the Auto-Ordnance Bridgeport plant until the supply of usable receivers were exhausted. In essence, what you have is a parts gun from the original manufacturer. No 1928AC Thompson guns with Savage or Colt's receivers are known to exist.

There is no real standardization for the 1928AC variation but No. 150969x fits the pattern of what is normally seen. That said, differences can and do exist between guns. Again, it is a parts gun. Any World War II GI parts would be correct. AOC marked bolts and actuators are not common but I do not believe these parts add any real value to the 1928AC variation. Others may disagree. I looked at No. 150969x when it was first offered for sale. My first impression was it had been refinished, i.e., parkerized. Original finished guns usually show bare metal where the US markings on the receiver were removed. In addition, original finish on barrels and compensators are normally a blueish color. The barrel and compensator appear parkerized grey to me. It is very difficult to judge finish with pictures. An in-person inspection may produce a different opinion.

How a refinished parts gun impacts value is difficult to know. I would expect No. 150969x to be an excellent shooter Thompson gun.

• Upvote 1

HuggyTree,

If I had to choose and prices being comparable I love a '28 WW2 weapon over Police. The '28 i've dropped from my list is the W.H., and I say that with no offense meant to any W.H. owners. I prefer one with a bit of story and absolutely a "Shooter". The finish for me can't be perfect, otherwise I would worry about allowing my sons handling and shooting it. Rough around the edges is ok with me. I know "the hunt" should be enjoyed but, knowing I have a year after purchasing it to await "permission" to posses...well, you know

T.D. Thanks for the information and thoughts about AOC parts. And your keen eye and opinion. And your recent publication. Wish I could justify a Colt "Shooter" but, four kids and college puts a super sized crimp in that idea

Andy

Andy,

Seems like its been for sale for a while. Maybe he would accept a offer a few K less.

Both my M1 and 1928A1 have been rebarreled and parkerized., nice looking guns but not original.

If I were to find a really nice original WW2 gun it would stay in the safe next to my Colt and never see the range.

It could be a good deal if you buy it for a little less, if not, others will come along.

Did you check with Rubin Mendiola???

Jim C

Ruben will have $27,000 1928s that are beautiful. But refinished.

If your gonna accept refinished I think low $20s are more in line. Keep your eye on mid west tactical. They mostly get junk but occasionally have gems. There prices are normally where the market actually is.

If this gun was priced close to what its worth it would have been sold long ago

The market is blah. To me thats a $21,000 gun

Buying a Thompson is not like buying a Mac 10. It takes months to find a great one. Most have something wrong with them. Sometimes its just a matter of switching a few parts to make it correct

Id focus on original finish and matching numbers. Ww2 guns are much more rare. $25,000 should get you a nice one. Read every book. Look at all the old posts.

Took me 8 months to find my gun. It wasnt perfect. Ive spent years to make it close to correct.

Beautiful guns have come and gone. Maybe the next one will be yours

Edited by huggytree

Jim, I haven't checked with Rueben, my impression from reading this board, is that he doesn't deviate from his price. I appreciate the encouragement and help. Truly amazing the knowledge that's shared here.

Still looking....

Andy

Jim C,

Thanks, I have looked at that numerous times, and read the opinions and critique on an earlier posting. I do like it, I do.. And the fact that "DeerSlayer" has taken a look at it adds a measure of benefit.

I love the how DeerSlayer always has a legitimate "machine gun grin" after firing each gun he tests! I don't know if anyone else has noticed or commented on that. It is there on every one of his videos

Andy

Andy,

Your looking at two decent Thompson guns, both different but known variations. I don't know the seller of the 1928AC and this obviously needs to be researched further. There are no issues with Ruben. Send the money and you will receive the gun upon ATF approval. Period. Sleep well at night.

The pictures provided for both guns are good but sometimes that is not enough. Given the amount of money involved, a quick one day flight to either location to view one or both guns is always a good idea. I believe Ruben will pick you up at the airport if you make arrangements in advance. Not sure about the seller in Ohio but the retail store location is pretty close to Detroit. At Ruben's store you can also inspect the 1928AC Thompson guns he has for sale. That information could aide you if you later decide to view the Ohio 1928AC.

Aside from the technical knowledge needed to make a huge purchase like this, I always suggest the following two rules. Enjoy the search and admire what you buy. This makes the process a lot of fun...as it should be!

Good luck,

TD.

Jim C,

Thanks, I have looked at that numerous times, and read the opinions and critique on an earlier posting. I do like it, I do.. And the fact that "DeerSlayer" has taken a look at it adds a measure of benefit.

I love the how DeerSlayer always has a legitimate "machine gun grin" after firing each gun he tests! I don't know if anyone else has noticed or commented on that. It is there on every one of his videos

Andy

Andy,

Anyone who shoots a MG should have that grin. If not, they likely fantasize about Pelosi. Good luck on the hunt.

Ron

Ron, Pelosi is a terrible Congress monster, but I really enjoyed her in the Wizard of Oz.

Now ^that's^ special...

"Pelosi" is the official new cuss words.

It replaces S**t, Bulls**t, as well as several other nasty terms.

Use it freely so it catches on. Inform others too and maybe it'll

make the Urban dictionary.

Honestly, I am NOT "Pelosi-ing" you!

If we could only get rid of her that easily. Newbies benefit greatly from this repository of sheer knowledge on this board. Hopefully some board members live near you and can help. Sandman1957 and some others did background work on my first TSMG. While I still wait on ATF approval I am reading up on TSMGs and acquiring TSMG stuff. Wanted one all my life now almost there. The approval wait is a bitch.

Andy,

Your looking at two decent Thompson guns, both different but known variations. I don't know the seller of the 1928AC and this obviously needs to be researched further. There are no issues with Ruben. Send the money and you will receive the gun upon ATF approval. Period. Sleep well at night.

The pictures provided for both guns are good but sometimes that is not enough. Given the amount of money involved, a quick one day flight to either location to view one or both guns is always a good idea. I believe Ruben will pick you up at the airport if you make arrangements in advance. Not sure about the seller in Ohio but the retail store location is pretty close to Detroit. At Ruben's store you can also inspect the 1928AC Thompson guns he has for sale. That information could aide you if you later decide to view the Ohio 1928AC.

Aside from the technical knowledge needed to make a huge purchase like this, I always suggest the following two rules. Enjoy the search and admire what you buy. This makes the process a lot of fun...as it should be!

Good luck,

TD.

TD is exactly right. I checked out a Thompson owned by a board member a couple of months ago. Lucky for me, it was only a three hour drive. But, I was prepared to fly anywhere in the country to view a likely prospect. I'd strongly suggest that you buy Frank Iannamico's excellent book, "American Thunder III." It's a wealth if information and data on military Thompsons. Good luck.