MP 18 question

Trying to understand the MP18. As there are few around and it is the grandfather of the blowback! Does the barrel screw on the gun hold the barrel to the gun, or does it just keep it from rotating? The collar inside the housing was installed through the back or from the front and pinned? How does the barrel attach to the collar to the receiver? In the field how would a soldier remove the barrel if he needed to change it?

The rear end of the barrel slips in the collar and both are held by a single screw that goes through the receiver and collar and squeezes the barrel which has a little indent for the screw so it will stay in the correct position: feed ramp and extractor cut

The front screw squeezes the barrel against the collar

The front sight which is installed through a dovetail keeps the front screw from loosening as the front screw is flattened at that place and flush with the dovetail

No fieldstripping for the barrel

Thanks for the reply. So the sight is the release for the barrel, which seems strange as would have thought that would be pinned. I guess in a way it is but different. Was the collar for the barrel similar to a STEN or Lanchester in that it only can be assembled one way? I would assume the heavy type bolt would be too much for a single screw, but is that the reason the barrel was secured in the front? I may be over complicating the design but the Germans always did...

I was trying to figure out a old parts kit I have. Also have some other parts for the 18 but old welded. I did not want to start cleaning up anything and then have an expensive oops moment. For example in my case I have a barrel stuck to a collar because the screw was ground/welded(Dewat?) I figure the barrel is an ok part but maybe can save the collar. Also the front pieces off one that was about a pile of scrap. In the end started to find it more interesting....

my congrats to you, you are being careful , ive owned and rewated a few years ago and was always amazed how bubbered up some were then sent to me to correct some screw up,, after you get screws and sight if barrel is tight you might make up a spanner type wrench to unscrew barrel if weld is removed between barrel and reciever, just sayn

That is a good idea, and think will give it a try. In the end if I do ok, should just be missing a barrel screw, stock screw, and the swivel for the barrel. Everything will be numbered matched except the pivot screw on the front and the bolt. Quite a few issues with it between all but will be a nice display after some clean up. Parts had been turned into a toy gun in the 50s for a kid and left outside fighting “the Hun” during a few summers.... Came to me in black boat paint, rusted, and in pieces. A neighbor told me about his “Tommy gun” that he had from his childhood and walked away with my money!

Well got everything good for the group, I even just picked up a new stock on Gunbroker to add. What I dont have is an ejector for the group. Is the ejector the same as the MP28 or the Lanchester? I could always just make one, but dont even have a picture of one so would be some guess work. I had to make a few screws for it, and was going to blue the parts but think I may just leave it alone. After I got the boat paint off had a look of character to it

then you will need a drum mag,, i was able to shoot with a luger mag in, i wrapped tape around it to keep in place,,,eventually a drum mag and the sleeve is pricy, i think i paid 2000.00 for mine,,, now repo drums are around but i have no experence with one,, just sayn

Here are a few as I am cleaning it up. Serial 8*** which is WW1 used. Also no Nazi proofs so made it without being stamped later. I am working on the new stock for it, but will be a nice display piece. I have a Lanchester bolt in it as at first did not think could save the bolt. How something so pretty will become my wifes new kitchen cabinets is the real mystery!

post-260628-0-23649900-1615915196_thumb.jpeg

post-260628-0-85490900-1615915226_thumb.jpeg

post-260628-0-98089600-1615915519_thumb.jpeg

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Here are a few as I am cleaning it up. Serial 8*** which is WW1 used. Also no Nazi proofs so made it without being stamped later. I am working on the new stock for it, but will be a nice display piece. I have a Lanchester bolt in it as at first did not think could save the bolt. How something so pretty will become my wifes new kitchen cabinets is the real mystery!

I was wondering who outbid me on GB for that kit! UGH! Congratulations though. I own a beautiful fully functional MP 18.1 side stick version. Shoots super. Go to the other (near the top) MP 18.1 question about ammo for the gun and I've left some good information about my gun and parts.