Chrome plated Inland M2

I purchased an Inland M2 carbine from a local State Trooper about 20 years ago.

He told me that he confiscated it and registered it in the 68 amnesty.

I have his paperwork showing this.

I jumped through all of the hoops and had it transferred to me.

It is marked Inland Div 6969235 and U.S. Carbine Cal 30 M2.

The 2 is offset a little from the M.

The barrel is stamped IBM.

Does anyone know what the the device attached to the end of the barrel is?

It is permanently attached.

The stocki has been refinished.

There are a few lines carved into the stock. It looks like they never finished the carving.

It functions fine and cycles all of the ammunition I have fed it.

The former owner told me that he had jamming problems with it.

I was in a hurry to go and fire it when I first got the paperwork and forgot to take my range bag with me.

It would jam about every third round.

I didn't have any gun oil with me so I pulled the dipstick from my truck and oiled it up with that.

That fixed the problem and after a good cleaning it has never failed since.

What would you value it at?

post-269689-0-94783100-1618578788_thumb.jpgpost-269689-0-80562700-1618578816_thumb.jpgpost-269689-0-19383700-1618578845_thumb.jpgpost-269689-0-16641400-1618578896_thumb.jpgpost-269689-0-24454000-1618578926_thumb.jpgpost-269689-0-52339700-1618578950_thumb.jpgpost-269689-0-84065300-1618578994_thumb.jpg

post-269689-0-63017300-1618578877_thumb.jpg

Edited by galtjunk

Being a fan of originality and having restored one '28 Thompson after stripping off the gold plate and two UZIs stripped of chrome, it would enhance the value to have the chrome stripped and then re-parkerize everything.

A quality chrome plating job will have included a base over the bare steel of copper plating to improve adherence and surface uniformity. Unfortunately, the steel might have been polished as well although the markings look really good so the polishing might have been careful and light.

Anyway, just a thought.....FWIW

Muzzle device came from a post war brake that Mel Johnson’s company put on sporter rifles back in the 50’s. It’s only the front end, has been cut down and modified. See original pics. Originals were threaded on and held by a set screw. Does that ring on yours turn or can you push or pull it ? May be attached by a depressed ball and spring , don’t know just a thought.

Muzzle device came from a post war brake that Mel Johnson’s company put on sporter rifles back in the 50’s. It’s only the front end, has been cut down and modified. See original pics. Originals were threaded on and held by a set screw. Does that ring on yours turn or can you push or pull it ? May be attached by a depressed ball and spring , don’t know just a thought.

Here ‘s pic

post-258460-0-53371000-1618592982_thumb.jpeg

The hand-stamped "2" in the "M2" on the receiver shows that it was an early production M2 carbine right out of Inland, not a conversion. I sold one a little while ago for $16K, but it was in nice shape. If I had it, I would talk to Bob "Bubba" Naess up at Black River Militaria in Vermont about having the chrome stripped off. He has mentioned the process in other posts and would probably be able to tell you how much it might cost. Stripping the chrome off and having it parked would sure enhance the value, but it might not be cost-effective, depending on how much it costs.

Finding an Inland barrel of the correct era should be possible, and that would take care of the funky muzzle brake.

The hand-stamped "2" in the "M2" on the receiver shows that it was an early production M2 carbine right out of Inland, not a conversion. I sold one a little while ago for $16K, but it was in nice shape. If I had it, I would talk to Bob "Bubba" Naess up at Black River Militaria in Vermont about having the chrome stripped off. He has mentioned the process in other posts and would probably be able to tell you how much it might cost. Stripping the chrome off and having it parked would sure enhance the value, but it might not be cost-effective, depending on how much it costs.

Finding an Inland barrel of the correct era should be possible, and that would take care of the funky muzzle brake.

I agree. Of course he could put it on gunbroker as is and say it was a rare experimental model used in the pacific theater and was noted for resisting corrosion. The muzzle brake was also experimental and found to be effective in full auto.

The front will unscrew and come off.

The base is welded on,

What is with the missing rear sight and whatever it is mounted just behind the ejection port?

I pulled the rear sight to photograph the markings on the receiver.

I don't know what you are referring to behind the ejection port.

I think he's puzzled by the raised part of the slide, which is locked to the rear in your photos.

• 8 months later...

It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but the gun actually appears to be nickeled instead of chromed.

Either is a much better finish than parkerizing or bluing-but I understand wanting an original finish.

A finish that lessens the value by more than half cannot be better.