Can You Confirm Shotgun Is Winchester Model 12?

All,

I posted something in the tear gas forum that relates to Combat Shotguns. I think the shotgun pictured on the back of a soldier is a Winchester Model 12 Trench Gun, but I'm interested in any other opinions.

http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/ind...showtopic=12713

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Dave,

May guess would also be a M12.

Jim C

could also be some kind of Stevens or Savage

The Savage/Stevens shotgun would have a similar profile but I don't know if they were still in inventory in 1964.

The M12 was definitely in inventory in 1964.

While serving in "C" troop 2/9 Cav in Korea in 63-64 we made use of 6 Win. M12 trench guns. The ammo was old full length brass OO buck.

When a night patrol or night stakeout departed the squad leader always carried the M12. Actually it would have been smart for the whole squad to take the shotgun, but one was better than none.

Our troop area was north of the Imjim river and was off limits for both commies and slicky boys. One night a small boat with 3 people beached on our side of the river and one person got out and proceeded to pull the boat on shore. The squad leader ( Sp/5 tank gunner) emptied the shotgun. Two were dead on the shore and the third was fished out of the river the next morning.

For night work its very difficult to beat a shotgun.

Jim C

From a distance, the Ithaca model 37 looks like the Stevens 620 looks like the Winchester model 12. All were in service at the time. It's very hard to tell without a better photo.

From a distance, the Ithaca model 37 looks like the Stevens 620 looks like the Winchester model 12. All were in service at the time. It's very hard to tell without a better photo.

TSMGguy,

The Ithaca Model 37 ejects from the bottom of the receiver. In the picture, a bolt is clearly visible on the right side of the receiver of the shotgun, so we can rule out a Model 37.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

TSMGguy,

The Ithaca Model 37 ejects from the bottom of the receiver. In the picture, a bolt is clearly visible on the right side of the receiver of the shotgun, so we can rule out a Model 37.

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

The photo came up so huge on my machine that I could see only a tiny portion of it. Had better luck the second time around. Could see no details that would rule out either the Stevens 620 or the Win. Model 12. Most photos that show the wooden forearm in any detail will allow you to see whether it has the characteristic Win. ringtail grooves, or the smooth forearms of the Stevens 620 and 520.

I own Stevens 520, 620, and Win. Model 12 trench guns. For lightness, reliability, and sheer usefulness, I'd take the Win. Model 12 over the Stevens guns. The Stevens 520 and 620 are still very well made guns, just not as light and pointable as the Winchester, which features natural, intuitive handling with perfect balance. The model 12's action is glassy smooth, where those of the Stevens are not. All seem to be equally reliable.

While I haven't weighed them, the Stevens trench guns seem much heavier. I attribute this to their "built like a tank" receivers, and to the heavy disassembly block to which the barrels and slides are mounted. Take down and cleaning are very easy, though. You just open the action, unscrew the magazine tube, move the slide forward while pressing the bolt slide bar outboard and away from the bolt, and pull the barrel down and off. Easy! There are no loose parts to drop or lose. Here's a Gunbroker auction where the 620's takedown mechanism is easily seen:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem....?Item=213227930

The finishes of the Stevens guns are a dull military blue/black, where the Winchester Model 12 featured a polished commercial blue, and I do mean blue. Even the screw heads are polished and blued. The stocks are beautiful and are of walnut, finished in the reddish tones of pre-war commercial guns. Early WWII Winchester Model 12s are quite striking in appearance.

Edited by TSMGguy