Unsolved History St. Valentines Day Masacre

I certainly hope that cordite wasn't used!!!WOW! burn those old Tommy barrels up! I don't think that cordite was ever used in .45 ammunition (hopefully!) Still it's a cool old expression though!

Caught the last 3/4 of that show.

I thought it gave a lot of credibility to the show when they interviewed Bill Hellmer.

The video they got from their archives (shooting from cars, etc..) was bogus. They had some kind of blank adapter attached to the barrel of the guns.

The video they actually shot for the show was done very well.

Overall, very interesting. But I couldn't help feeling like they really played up the "killing machine" title of the Thompsons.

just my opinion - from someone with a big chip on his shoulder about anything gun related in the media....

It was on Discorvery and it was a great new program. Lots of TSMG action. They showed and shot Fred Killer Burkes guns that were used in the actual massacre. Hope it will be on again everyone should watch it.

Excellent re-creation documentary...I gotta wonder, though...why aren't those rare, "historic" TSMG's used in the massacre put on preservation display somewhere for the public to view instead of being locked up in a Michigan PD gunlocker? Just wondering... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

treborsnikwad,

Maybe so some self-serving, grand-standing, anti-gun politician can't attempt to have them destroyed as representative of the evils of gun ownership in the United States.

They're better off where they are, preserved for gun enthusiasts and history buffs alike.

Did any of you guys notice when they were talking about the "killing power" of the guns used that they came to the conclusion that the shotgun was far more deadly? Just think.....If the politicians had "picked up" on that in 1934 and written shotguns into the NFA act instead of machine-guns we would all be collecting shotguns.

QUOTE Did any of you guys notice when they were talking about the "killing power" of the guns used that they came to the conclusion that the shotgun was far more deadly?

Nothing like an Ithaca Mag 10 "Roadblocker" to dissable an engine block, or the driver for that matter. Of course these were not available to the hoods and cops until the mid 1970's. Of course short barreled (under 18") shotguns were included in the 1934 NFA regs anyway.