Reloading 303 for the Bren Gun

Hi All,

I've been having a blast with the Bren. So much so that I think it is time to look into loading a few myself for the gun.

Has anyone developed a good load that is easy on the gun/brass? I figure there are some experts here and a better place to start than just reading the reloading manuals. Funny thing. Most manuals don't have specific load data for the Bren :)!

I do know some folks have had some luck loading 303 light for the Lewis Gun. I'm not adverse to working the gas port/regulator on a barrel to run specialized ammo. For the time being, it looks like barrels are reasonably priced.

Thanks in advance,

Grasshopper

Have to agree with Bob, when I reload for military firearms I reload to match the original military loading as close as possible. This will ensure outside of any mechanical issues that the firearm will operate as designed.

Thanks everyone.

The lighter loads were a thought on attempting to make the brass last a bit longer. Case mouths on the 150gr seem to fare better than the heavier bullet loads rightnow. Currently the gun runs like a top.

Jim C - Good to see those loads worked. After consulting the manuals, I'll likely start in that area. The Bren & Lewis are some of my favorites.

Stay safe,

Grasshopper

GH,

When I prepared to reload for the Lewis, I anticipated very poor case life.

I based this on what I was told by shooters of Enfield rifles and surplus ammo.

As it turned out, I got excellent case life with Rem, Win And PRI cases, using the charge of 35.5 gr 3031. I'm talking about 5-6 loadings before I gave the cases away to a Enfield shooter.

Someone gave me some WW2 , WRA 43 cases that started failing after 1-2 loading, these were the worst performers.

Good luck with your project.

Jim C

PS note that I was loading 175 gr. bullets.

Edited by jim c 351