Recommendations to patina / add vintage look to brand new stocks ?

Looking for recommendations to patina / add vintage look to brand new stocks.

The 1928A1 that I bought a year or two ago so came with cracks in the buttstock, hand grip and fore-grip that were not disclosed in the auction. Morphy was good enough to refund some of the purchase price.

Also the handgrip was painted a tan color and most of the paint is wearing of. Looks funky.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_N__CLASSIC_SAVAGE_MANUFACTURED_MILITARY_MODEL_192-LOT448404.aspx

So I'm looking at some brand new old stock.... errr stocks but would like them to have the patina and wear that the rest of the gun has. I can get a set for about $150 or so.
I missed a "perfect" patinaned set not too long ago on Gunbroker and another set like that may never come up. I've had a search for old stocks for about a year.
BTW the current stocks on the gun are serviceable they just look weird. Probably the originals.
I would save them for the purists.

Or should I just suck it up and learn to live with them ?

Do a search on here for stocks/staining. There are numerous posts detailing how to achieve the 'perfect' patina. I've always just used a few coats of linseed oil and have pretty good success. Complete sets as you know are hard to come by. Dan Block, here on the boards as Deerslayer, is a master in making new stocks and sets that will match in color. Good luck.

Yes. I highly recommend Dan Block for new furniture. Also second the boiled linseed oil for the finish. apply a coat, let dry well. Sand with 0000 steel wool and coat again. Repeat this 4 to 5 times for a deep rich color. Dan may also recommend a stain he has used.

I purchased my new front grip from Dan, then olderized-it with the same process that aged them in the first place:

Sweat, oil and dirt. That's real 1950's motor oil.

I made a bracket like a resting-bar to fit in the vise, bolted it up then proceeded to abuse it.

After a couple hours it looks pretty "used"....Phil

Thompson front grip olderized 001.JPG

Thompson front grip olderized 007.JPG

Edited by anjong-ni

I'd strip the paint on the grip and it may be just fine? I'd touch up the finish on the gun (not refinish it) to upgrade that 30% and bring it to 70% without taking away the character and replace some of the wood with wood from a parts kit that is used, but not abused.

Stocks were finished with raw linseed oil, not boiled. If you use 0000 the stocks will look brand new, and original stocks are actually pretty rough, though worn smoother over the years. Tough decisions or leave it as is? Hard call.

I've had luck repairing superficial wood cracks with Brownells shellac sticks and a hot putty knife. Don't confuse with the colored lacquer sticks for highlighting engravings.

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/stock-work-finishing/stock-repair-products/stock-repair-shellac-sticks/index.htm

I also second the recommendation for Dan Block. He made me a set several years ago that came out great.

I purchased my new front grip from Dan, then olderized-it with the same process that aged them in the first place:

Sweat, oil and dirt. That's real 1950's motor oil.

I made a bracket like a resting-bar to fit in the vise, bolted it up then proceeded to abuse it.

After a couple hours it looks pretty "used"....Phil

I did the same with some grips for a 1911. Found a new set, unfinished. I took a plastic baggie and put in some used oil from the old Harley. Let it sit outside in the sun for about a week. Removed and wiped down and cleaned well. Looked just like a set of 90 year old grips.

• Upvote 1