Original Vertical Foregrip For 1928 Thompson

Hi All,

I trying to find an original vertical fore grip for my early Savage 1928 Thompson. The gun is a British Contract gun with 43,XXX serial #, NY address and British proof marks.

How can I tell an original from a repro? Are there letter codes on the WW2 manufacture grips like the buttstocks and pistol grips? I've heard many of the repro grips are slab sided while originals are more rounded on the sides. Finally, does anyone know where I can locate an original one? Thanks in advance.

QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 30 2005, 10:53 AM)

How can I tell an original from a repro?  Are there letter codes on the WW2 manufacture grips like the buttstocks and pistol grips?  I've heard many of the repro grips are slab sided while originals are more rounded on the sides.  Finally, does anyone know where I can locate an original one? 

The originals are more rounded, generally, than the current reproductions. The originals are kind of difficult to locate, since they were primarily used on the British contract guns and not the U.S. guns. They are almost identical to the original style used on the Colt guns, although they are slightly fatter, but not much. There are no contractor letter codes on any that I have seen.

Experience in seeing originals is about the only sure way to determine an original from a current reproduction. Quality of the wood, color, smoothness, etc. The only place I have seen originals in the last few years is on auctions sites, such as Ebay and they usually command a pretty hefty price, $100.00 - $200.00 dollars.

Good luck in your search!