Us Navy Colt

Well the wait is over. ATF cashed my check on January 22 and the paperwork came through April 19th, which I guess is not too bad. Thought I’d post a few pictures, I know I like looking at the pictures others have posted. The pictures are on a link on our website. http://www.diamondbackquarterhorses.com/navycolt.htm

All I know of the gun was that it was originally sold to the Hudson Coal Company in Scranton PA and that it was built in July-August of 1921. It has two Birmingham Military stamps, but I don’t think it ever left the country. I tried to take pictures of all the markings. It does have a two-piece actuator. The compensator has me puzzled. It is unmarked and has the dimensions of a type I (diameter 0.930” and length of 2.40’), but the slot pattern is like a type II.

If anyone could help me out interpreting the markings or fill in some of the guns history, I’d really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ron,

To quote Steely Dan, "I'm a fool to do your dirty work, Oh Yah." Why leave it to others to point out that the barrel isn't Colt and the Cutts isn't Cutts.

Chip,

That's cool that this Colt TSMG was one of the few that wasn't sold to the usual PD. Your suggestion that this Birmingham Brit proofed TSMG never crossed the Atlantic in either direction may be vexing to some.

Outstanding piece.

From the pictures, the finish looks close to 90% and the compensator looks new.

If you look closely at the barrel fins you will notice they are slightly thinner than fins on other barrels. This is one way to tell if its a Colt barrel.

Chip,

I don't know from the pictures if the barrel and compensator are authentic, but the sight on the comp has been replaced with a WWII variety sight. The arc on the Colt sights is different.

The compensator looks like an original 1st type to me. The vent arrangement is correct and it is unmarked. That would be the proper type for the early Navy models with the two-piece actuator and that serial number range.

Hard to tell about the barrel from the pictures, although I will say that the guns looks to have been refinished. The compensator has no firing wear and the fact that the sight has been replaced is telling.

Nice looking gun, anyway. If you're happy with it who cares if it was refinished? Enjoy it.

Thanks for the feedback. The fins look quite thin and rounded as compared to my westie. I can't see anything at the base of the barrel except for the match marks and British stamp. From what I understand, later built compensators were slightly larger in diameter and lenght than the type I.

Any speculation on how the Birmingham Military proof marks got there?

Barrel appears to be a replacement (Perhaps a DWR Barrel??), the Compensator also appears to be a newly produced one, and as GiJive pointed out, the Front Sight isn't correct for this Gun. First thing that I would do is, replace the Sight and Compensator with ones produced by Richardson. Since the Barrel Assy doesn't match the finish on the rest of the parts, you could take some Flitz Metal Polish some 0000 Steel Wool and rub those parts down, and presto! Everything would match. Anyway Chip, BEAUTIFUL GUN! Impressive, and thanks so much for sharing!

Nice gun! I am sure the gun was used in the British Army, with the changes and all.

Two things. It could be a Richardson bbl if its not factory, but I might add that if the bbl IS a factory bbl, the bbl would be of Remington manufacture. Colt did not make Thompson barrels. There is no such thing as a "COLT" barrel.

Take care and VERY NICE GUN!

Jr

I really do appreciate the honest feedback. After 80 years it will be hard to know exactly where the gun has been or what was done, but is sure is fun to speculate and try to figure it out. It also has a bright "s" marked bolt and a blued hammer, but the actuator is the two peice. Who knows why some things would be changed out and not others. The gun does not show much internal or external wear, so I wouldn't think the original barrel would have needed to be changed.

Again, I appreciate the information and idea's.

Chip, I sure wouldn't lose any sleep due to a replaced Barrel. At least it has the proper '21 look! I suggested to you that you may want to obtain a Compensator and Front Sight from Richardson. Though if you do, a gunsmith will need to put in the Pin Hole for the Comp. At this point, I'd just purchase a Front Sight, and hopefully an original Compensator would turn up. Same holds true with your internal Parts as well. Look around, you will find what you need sooner or later. Outstanding Wood on your Colt by the way!