Best Place For M1 Parts Kits This Month?

Was wondering if anyone has picked up M1 parts kits recently and if so what is the best place at the moment?

Do not mind paying a few percent extra, for nicer parts and/or a regular.

Pricewise, this evilbay listing may go cheap enough... but I doubt it.

Kits are $449 + dummy rec is $130 (this looks like a cast alum one).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...me=STRK:MEWA:IT

• 4 weeks later...

Received an M1A1 part kit form IMI and had them send the M1 bolt (floating firing pin) instead of the fixed pin.

The set looks exceedingly nice and I was fortunate enough to have the owner go and hand pick it for me. Nice to know people isn't it.

Also, purchased the finned barrel for the 1928A1 and that is like new but with a lot of grease that must be cleaned form it.

Now I've just ordered 2 of the original mag pouches that have the 20 round mags in them. They also have the original like new belt as well. They have the AO marked and the Seymor marked mags.

So, I now have 2 sets of pouches that are originals in excellent condition with 5 excellent mags from each manufacturer. $159 + shipping but what's a girl to do when these things don't come up everyday?

QUOTE (Diane @ Mar 31 2005, 11:04 PM)
Received an M1A1 part kit form IMI and had them send the M1 bolt (floating firing pin) instead of the fixed pin.

The set looks exceedingly nice and I was fortunate enough to have the owner go and hand pick it for me. Nice to know people isn't it.

Also, purchased the finned barrel for the 1928A1 and that is like new but with a lot of grease that must be cleaned form it.

Now I've just ordered 2 of the original mag pouches that have the 20 round mags in them. They also have the original like new belt as well. They have the AO marked and the Seymor marked mags.

So, I now have 2 sets of pouches that are originals in excellent condition with 5 excellent mags from each manufacturer. $159 + shipping but what's a girl to do when these things don't come up everyday?

Welcome Diane, it's nice to know there are some women involved in this hobby. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif I think if you stick around you'll find this place to be very informative, sometimes entertaining, and always quite non-PC. http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/blink.gif http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/smile.gif Which state or nation do you reside in? http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/cool.gif Regards, Walter

Thank you Walter and all the other guys that said I was welcome. My real passion is the German MP43/44 series of weapons, but I do like the U.S. stuff as well, and have a couple Garands, Carbines and well, a few other things I won't mention.

I will be going though to Knob Creek in a week and will finally get to meet a few guys that I've bought things from and that I've talked to. I'm really going to enjoy meeting a guy that comes over from Europe (Folke), he said he would invite me for dinner with his friends. I have a few questions about the MG34 that I'll be asking him.

Well, if I'm lucky, I might just wind up with a Thompson Drum at that event and if not, I guess I'll just have to call my friend in Europe and accept the one he has.

I do ramble on a bit.

Diane NRA Life Member 1971

Tell your friend from Europe to bring 2 or 3. I'll take the extras. That would make me a even dozen!

Saturday at about 1pm outside the main building. I think a few are going to show up there. Look for us.

Folke is a good guy and comes up with the most amazing stuff. He is pretty easy to find too. Looks just like the pic in his MG42 book but shorter than you might expect from the pics. Normal sized guy like me....5 foot 5 or so. Not sure when he is showing up this time. . .

Frank

I guess it's almost 2 years now but at the time when I was running out of the 1940's dated ammo (down to 2 cases I won't be using or selling & 1 cases of the 59/61 stuff), I got in touch with the guys at Buffalo Arms and asked them to make up some brass for the 7.92x33. After talking with 2 of the guys there, they decided to give it a go and I had placed an order for 500 brass cases just for them to get an idea that they might have a market for them. I just don't like to resize cases as I do beleive in if doing that, you should when necessary anneal the case mouths, and I just don't have the time to dip these things in molten lead or whatever I would want to use for that purpose.

So, they made up quite a few cases and I'm very happy with the quality of them. It cost me more to do it that way than to just do it myself but time to me is also money and I'm not fond of getting burned with molten metal if something goes wrong, I have a few places that I have now that will never be just right due to a oil fire that almost burned down my house. If I didn't have my toys there at the time I would have not even attempted to put it out. So, I paid for my effort and will not play with matches again.

Regarding the Thompson kits, the place that I recently purchased one is at IMA and the thing was beautiful. It's a real shame that they have to cut the receivers like that, and you only get the front part with the barrel attached. The barrels look like new excepting for normal storage dings and such. I agree though that the barrels are one very hard thing to unscrew from the receiver.

If you do get any kit and have to take out the barrel from the part of the receiver that was cut. You might consider taking a dremil tool and slicing that receiver piece without damaging the barrel so you don't have to mark up the barrel trying in vain to get the barrel out of the part. It's not worth it to try and then wind up with a barrel that is marked from the attempt and still not out of the receiver part.

I wound up cutting 3 small pieces from the darn receiver part and thought it was still tight. Now that's really tight. They must have used a hydraulic screw turning machine to put those barrels into the receivers. And turned the pressure way up.

If you purchase a part set from IMA, you will not be disapointed and they also have a lot of spare parts now. Nice finned barrels, and like unissued condition, I also bought a finned barrel, and bolt from a M1. Both were unissued or not to look like they were used. And having seen the way they looked I ordered anohter set of them. That's how good I think those parts are. I don't expect they to stay around long once people see how good these parts are. And talk about 20 round magazines in original pouches with belts? Bought me 3 of those, so I'm ready in case the meak shall inherit the world. As far as I'm concerned the only thing the meak will inherit is 6 ft. of dirt if that. Only the strong will survive (now where did I hear that?).

Yes, I do like the MP43/44 series and have had a few of them and might just have a few left. But can you trust a female when she says this or that?

I also like the FN FAL STG58, but that thing is a real beast to try to get a full magazine to run through without my finger coming off the trigger. Can't do it, myself so I tend to like something like the MP 43 and the M16 things. Easily managable in any of the modes. Now for the longer range, the MG34's seem to really fit the bill and they do oh so sound and give an impression. And I'm going to see if I can load some of the 7.62 tracer bullets in the 8mm brass so I can really have some fun. That's my next little project beside reworking one of the MG3 belt loaders to take the 8mm ammo for the belts. That should present me with no problem other than getting one to do it with. It's a simple matter as long as I have it to work on. Can't afford those $300+ loaders and I do want a crank one.

From what I'm hearing about the original Thompson magazines I guess I will ask him to send me the magazine even if I think it's a bit high. If he can find me more I'd take them as well now. I have more than enough 20 and 30 round orginal magazines so why not get something for a 28A1 model. I may just convert one so that it has the vertical grip and looks more like the early 21 versions. I know the 28A1 did also come with the vertical grip so with an original one installed who's to say it didn't come that way. Too bad the M1 was not milled to use the drum as well.

Sorry for my long posts, it's just the way I seem to write things.