New Kahr 21 Cocking Knob Pics!

Hello All,

Great News! Just got in 5 of the new 21 contoured cocking knobs. They are not produced for retail parts yet...they are putting them on the new guns...but I managed to weasel a few out of them. They will make some for parts purchase but don't know when. I did hear that the price would be around $50. Of the 5 they sent me 4 were beautifully knurled and done. One was a test piece that has much finer knurling but very neatly done as well. The notch is the triangle shape like the Colt acutator knobs on all of them and they even have the center hole drilled. I tried them out in a west hurley bolt and reciever and they fit nice and snug with no wiggle and did not scrape the top of the reciever...which were points I had made to them. I think it is great that they took advice and produced these to improve the historical acuracy of the guns. They have much more planned that will bring a smile to all of our faces to come. I was suprised to see that they created these in the Colt fasion. I spoke to Doug Richardson today and he is almost done with run of his own high quality 28 style cocking knobs. Now us poor folks that are stuck with the semi's for either legal or financial reasons will actually have a choice in high quality cocking knobs...Knurled Colt Style or Knurled 28 Style...decisions, decisions! Unbelieveable!

My customers that have pending jobs with me with knob contouring...contact me for special deal on upgrading.

Check out these pics...still can't believe it! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/huh.gif

http://www.tommygunner.com/images/temp/kahr21knob/kahr21knob1.jpg

http://www.tommygunner.com/images/temp/kahr21knob/kahr21knob2.jpg

My expectations of Kahr just went up a notch! http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/biggrin.gif

No offence Damon But I think the Richardson knobs have a better look for the same bread. The knurling is more percise and the knob head is hollowed out. However it is a improvement to there "Cheezegrater" one's. I wish mine had come with one-adlake

Adlake,

No offense taken...I did not make them. I have held Doug R. cocking knobs before and they were all exactly the same...absolutely perfect. No doubt. However Doug is not making the 21 style just the 28 so far...so it is nice to have the part available. On the knurling...perhaps my photo's are not the best...I am not a very good photographer...but the knurling looks dam good and I am told this will be refined further. Better than anything I have seen except for a Doug Richardson knob. On the hollowing...that is only on a 28 style knob no? These are 21's and have a different slot. (please correct me if I am wrong).

Devlin,

You can look but you can't touch. Welding the comp on would make headspacing and aligning sights more of a challenge since the sight position would be fixed on the barrel.

One thing I did notice is that the slots on each of them is a little wobbled to one side a bit on all of them. Not too bad...but not quite perfect. I do not think it would effect much but is noticeable. Hopefully they will straighten that out as well. Will see when they get them produced for sale. This is a big step in the right direction.

Damon

Both 21 and 28 knobs were “hollowed out”. The shape of the slot Kahr has used is more like a Colt part, but the top of the knob is not at all, being a true ball with a slot cut through- none of the others were like this. Nonetheless, an improvement.

One other thing Doug does right is he does not use the elongated slot for the hammer. This is a leftover from the very early WH guns that used the actuator as the bolt lock; why this feature persists in current production is a real mystery to me as it would be easier and cheaper to just have a hole (as Doug does). The slotting makes the stem weaker and they invariably collapse in use, causing wobble.

I haven’t seen any of the current production from Doug, but I will assume they are as befor. From what I see in the photos, these new Kahr parts don’t hold a candle to Doug’s, but that’s just my opinion.

Here is Kahr's correspondence to me--FYI--I wonder when the price is set to go up?

Steve,

Good Morning! I'm sorry, yes we do have the new style Bolt Handles. The part number is 27-4 and the cost is $30/ea. You can order online at www.tommygun.com, or by calling 508-795-3919 Monday-Friday 8:00am-4:00pm EST. All of the Bolt Handles are the new style now. If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank You

Kahr Customer Service

Steve,

Don't know when but that is what I was told...first was $50 then said they were going to lower it to $40 and was suprised that they were selling what they had. Perhaps the left hand is confused about what the right hand is doing? I think I will order a few more then. I hope Doug R produces the Colt style and even a plain 28 style. Would like to see that.

Damon

Steve,

Yeah that would be the best if Doug did all forms. However I am really please that Kahr is taking things in the right direction...it is a 180 degree switch.

There is room for improvement for sure on the Kahr knobs. Deeper knurling is a simple fix costing no investmet. The best point was made by PK about the elongated slot...I passed that along...good point.

Tracie Hill said that he though the knobs were very appropriate for a semi repro. He made a good point in that hollowing out the ball does weaken it and some do break on the full auto's...I am not so critical on the hollowing after considering this point. We should be able to read about it in the next newsletter.

PK

The knob is not quite a perfect sphere on top. It is flattened and has the center hole on all of them but is very faint..you have to look for it...but it is there. Hopefully they will fine tune that as well. However I think that to expect Kahr arms to measure up to Doug Richardson's work is unrealistic. It is just too hard to have people work for you take the same care and attention that one would performing thier own work. Anyone here measured by that stick will fall short as well and it sure beats what can be achieved by turning down one of those cheese graters...can't even come close with them...just better.

One thing is for sure...good things are happening in Thompsonland on all ends. Hope those SG drums come through!

Damon

The "new" bolt handle Kahr Arms is producing for their Thompsons arrived via Fedex yesterday--after 6 days. It fits perfectly in the gun--actually better than the original did--and looks a whole lot better. BUT--the knurling isn't too good--apparently the individual operating the machine that does that job didn't understand that to get a proper pattern the knurling tool must be pressed into the knob as it rotates in the chuck to reach the correct depth. In any case they are trying...

• 3 weeks later...

.45Cal,

They are making the 21 style cocking knobs now. From what I understand it is all they are selling now...the cheese graters are gone! Doug Richardson is making a 28 style cocking knob....excellent! His quality is much better than Kahr's...as you can see in the pics on Grey Crow's post...but he does not make them in the 21 style for some reason. Either one of these should drop right in to your West Hurley model.

Damon

I talked to Doug and he said that a 1921 style is no problem. He just has to retool the knob before set-up-adlake

With the cheese graters gone, will Kahr address the heavy pull springs? It would seem quite necessary to make them functional for the average customer. Kudos to Kahr for improving on their products!