TSMG Oiler Felt Insert Pads

​There are a number of dealers in the UK selling Thompson oilers with felt insert pads at the moment, the adverts state the purpose of the pad was to prevent the oiler rattling about.

I was curious if any of the 1928 / 28A1 stocks I have, had any felt inserts pads in them.

Only one of the six stocks I have, had the insert pads in it, but it did not have one, it had three felt insert pads, see attached.

P1110637.JPG

Can anyone confirm how many felt insert pads should be found in each stock, if any, or were they issued on an individual basis with the oilers?

I have three WW2 Oilers, so I guess I have one pad for each of them now :happy:

P1110636.JPG

Stay safe

Richard

Edited by rpbcps
  • Upvote 1

rpbcps,

There were normally three (3) felt donuts in each stock. They are usually missing from the stocks currently for sale. The original Colt buttstocks each had three (3).

Giive,

That'll explain why I found three in that stock then, thank you for the information.

I never checked the 1921 stock I have, I'll do that when I get a chance.

Stay safe

Richard

There are felt pads in all three M1/M1A1 stocks I have, but my 1921 does not have any :wacko:

Stay safe

Richard

There are felt pads in all three M1/M1A1 stocks I have, but my 1921 does not have any :wacko:

Stay safe

Richard

Richard,

That's too bad. The felt donuts on the Colt Thompson stocks I have observed are a slightly darker gray color than the horsehair brown color of the WWII felt spacers. Just my observation.

Stay safe

Richard

Richard,

That's too bad. The felt donuts on the Colt Thompson stocks I have observed are a slightly darker gray color than the horsehair brown color of the WWII felt spacers. Just my observation.

GI Jive,

Too bad indeed, but that stock is attached to a Model of 1921, that has been through the 'wars'. It would have been one of the 653 Thompsons bought for the IRA back in 1921 ad therefore either spent years in storage in NJ, prior to being shipped to Ireland in the mid 1920's, or it may have been one that evaded capture in NJ. Like a lot of former IRA Thompsons, it has the typical ‘IRA finish’, due to spending extended periods below ground, in far from perfect storage conditions. If the felt donuts had not been 'lost' during this time, perhaps it was during the UK deactivation process they were removed.

Have a good weekend

Richard

Felt Washers Revisited:

I just checked the three (3) Colt buttstocks I have and learned something new. Two (2) of the stocks have four (4) felt washers each and these stocks are original, untouched for years. One (1) stock, originally from a 1928 Navy Model, has the cut-out for an Enfield Type swivel and is an original factory modification. The gun was shipped to the PD that owned it that way. This stock only has three (3) felt washers. Two of the washers appear to stuck together from gun oil leaking on them. Anyway, four (4) washers per stock on the Colt guns appears to be the correct total.

Buttstock # 1

Buttstock-1.jpg

Buttstock-2.jpg

Buttstock-3.jpg

Buttstock-4.jpg

Buttstock # 2

Buttstock-5.jpg

Buttstock-6.jpg

Buttstock-7.jpg

Buttstock # 3

Buttstock-8.jpg

Buttstock-9.jpg

Buttstock-10.jpg

• Upvote 2

While were on the topic of Colt oiler felt washers, I'm in the market for an original Colt era oiler.

If your interested in selling one, PM me.

Thanks,

Darryl

Felt Washers Revisited:

I just checked the three (3) Colt buttstocks I have and learned something new. Two (2) of the stocks have four (4) felt washers each and these stocks are original, untouched for years. One (1) stock, originally from a 1928 Navy Model, has the cut-out for an Enfield Type swivel and is an original factory modification. The gun was shipped to the PD that owned it that way. This stock only has three (3) felt washers. Two of the washers appear to stuck together from gun oil leaking on them. Anyway, four (4) washers per stock on the Colt guns appears to be the correct total.

Chuck,

Original Colt Navy TSMG with Enfield swivels buttstock with the (4) four felt washers where one appears to be two stuck together.

post-110-0-35616300-1491079539_thumb.jpg

Depth of oiler in stock with 4 pads:

post-110-0-93490100-1491081134_thumb.jpg

Edited by Arthur Fliegenheimer
  • Upvote 1

Maybe one washer was cut longer than the other 3 originally?

David Albert

dalbert@sturmgewehr.com

Dave,

I think that is the case.

No doubt the engineers factored in the drag coefficient of the pad(s) to the oiler bottle to ensure the bottle would protrude just below the buttstock cap. In other words, they felt a felt washer could go the distance of being twice as long as the other three....

I can't complain about the geekyness of this thread, as I probably have researched the type of toenail clippers Dillinger used. ( Acme BTW )

OCM

( Sir Chopper's Pal )

• 3 weeks later...

I can't complain about the geekyness of this thread, as I probably have researched the type of toenail clippers Dillinger used. ( Acme BTW )

OCM

( Sir Chopper's Pal )

And that is what I love about this site.

Ask a question and some very knowledgeable members will provide the answers, "leaving no stone unturned", and the items found under those stones, gone through with a fine tooth comb.

As Buzz stated in another post recently " This site is invaluable for a Thompson collector. An endless stream of information".

Thanks again to all those board members that take their time to provide information, educating those of us with less knowledge, with the details we may otherwise have missed.

Richard

• 2 years later...

I found this thread during a search for info on the felt plugs used to space the oiler in the buttstock. My question is, where can these be found? I cannot recall ever seeing them for sale.

I found this thread during a search for info on the felt plugs used to space the oiler in the buttstock. My question is, where can these be found? I cannot recall ever seeing them for sale.

Try here: https://www.tommyguncollectibles.com/accessories-2/

or here: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/original-u-s-wwii-thompson-smg-butt-well-cushion?variant=26168010757

Be well.

Edited by Merry Ploughboy