Howell Arms now offering EZ-Pull Spring kits for Semi-Auto Thompsons

Not sure how recent this is, but I thought some of you guys might be interested in this:

Howell Arms who does the cartridge conversions for the old west black powder revolvers now offers some parts and services for Thompsons as well.

While it looks like they are mostly focusing on blank-firing parts for re-enactment, they also offer a Reduced Power or "EZ-Pull" spring kit for the semi-auto Thompsons.

Might be a good option for others looking to reduce the force needed to pull back the charging handle on their semi-auto Thompson.

I just got one for my Khar TM1 Thompson and it is a huge improvement over the springs that it comes with.

Link for those who are interested: https://www.howellarms.com/worldwar2/reduced-pull-spring-kit-for-semiautomatic-thompson

Edited by MafiamanJ15

Got one of the kits from Howell yesterday and stuck it in my AO M1 today. Springs are almost identical in length and it fit perfectly. I do like the buffer pad. My M1 is well broken in and the new kit does seem a bit lighter.Plan to hit the range tomorrow and see if it is still as reliable.

Edited by DeaconKC

• 2 weeks later...

Well, the gun ran fine with both 230 Grain WWB ball ammo and cast handloads. The spring kit is definitely smoother and easier to operate. Seems to me the buffer pad would be a boon to the alloy receiver guns as well. Much like a Shock-buf pad in an alloy frame Commander.

dan did my west hurley . blank fire barrel , springs and a few other mods. ive probably shot 1000 blanks out of it with the ezpull springs. it cocks almost as easy as an original. I did make a larger diameter bfa. it ejects the rounds about as far as live rounds. I also have a 27 a1 he did a bunch of mods to including the springs. ive fired it live 3-4 hundred rounds and the new springs work great. much easier to cock.

I used to use an assistance handle instead of lower force springs in the 27A1 I have. It took a while, but the OEM recoil springs did eventually relax to the point where unaided charging is not that difficult. It took my semi-auto Mini Uzi springs a lot more cycles to get soft enough for me to charge it without an assistance handle.

MHO, YMMV, etc.

Hi,

I wanted to order a kit for my new "Commando", but they don't ship outside USA,

could someone order one for me and resend ?

Of course I will pay all fees

paul

I ordered a set for my new semi; Semi is now in, new springs are installed and does feel a lot better to operate. Now to the range........

Edited by Vettom

• 3 weeks later...

After range report I have found that i had a failure to feed a few rounds. One suspicion i have is the ammo (I had some remanufactured I was using up along with factory new ammo) on a few rounds FTF with the Howell springs. This is a brand new out of the box Kahr. I had no issues with any of the ammo in my TSMG, new or reman ammo. One other thought is it is new and simply has not had enough use yet. Thoughts?

After range report I have found that i had a failure to feed a few rounds. One suspicion i have is the ammo (I had some remanufactured I was using up along with factory new ammo) on a few rounds FTF with the Howell springs. This is a brand new out of the box Kahr. I had no issues with any of the ammo in my TSMG, new or reman ammo. One other thought is it is new and simply has not had enough use yet. Thoughts?

I had a few FTF's with the easy pull springs too ... Put the factory springs back in and no more problems ... It must differ from gun to gun.

The firing pin and bolt group on kahr guns vary a lot on their fit and finish.. Many are very rough and need polishing to function with the ezpull springs. The most recent guns seem better than ones a few years old. If you pull back your bolt and it feels gritty then it needs polishing.

The firing pin needs to be taken out for this. The edges polished (but not where it catches the sear!). Then the inside channel needs attention to. And the round hammer hole.

Some firing pins are bent and don't hit The hole in the bolt cleanly.

Why is it this way??? Good question. Bad quality control. The extractor now needing to be pinned in place is but another example of bad parts.

• Upvote 1

I appreciate the feedback deerslayer, I would say that the bolt did not feel gritty when pulled back prior to firing at the range as I did operate it some to get a feel for it with the new springs. the fit and finish initially seems pretty good. I did wipe out the oil inside (seemed dirty for a new gun) and reoil to ensure there was enough and coverage. I have never used steel case ammo in anything I personally just don't like it. I will go thought it and clean and inspect it this weekend with your comments in mind. That said, how would one know if the chamber is tight?

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

I was wanting to go with a spring kit, but I just snipped a few coils off at a time until I achieved the same results. I also added a buffer pad to keep from battering the receiver too.

Now my gun is a lot easier to charge (probably not as easy as what a spring kit provides) and I haven't had any FTF or FTE issues so far.

Edited by tray burge

I asked about the "I agree to only use Cowboy Ammunition with Lead Bullet"

that comes up when ordering the ez pull kit and got this reply in case any one else wonders

Mr. Smith, I apologize about the confusion, my website does not have the ability to distinguish between a conversion cylinder, a reduced pull spring kit or a firearm. Yes you can use both live and blank ammo with our kit.

rick

I asked about the "I agree to only use Cowboy Ammunition with Lead Bullet"

that comes up when ordering the ez pull kit and got this reply in case any one else wonders

Mr. Smith, I apologize about the confusion, my website does not have the ability to distinguish between a conversion cylinder, a reduced pull spring kit or a firearm. Yes you can use both live and blank ammo with our kit.

rick

Glad you cleared that up for us - thanks!

I wanted to order a kit for my new "Commando", but they don't ship outside USA,

could someone order one for me and resend ?

Receive mine (many thank to the forum guy who did help me :) )

I will be able to try at the range in a couple of weeks

• 1 month later...

i tried to order the ez kit and it says you have to agree to this

I agree to only use Cowboy Ammunition with Lead Bullet

whats up with that cant use regular ammo?

Can you say CYA? That way they can't be held liable for malfunctions. My research has resulted in ZERO results for "Cowboy Loads w/lead bullets", except in .45 long. .45 ACP is an ENTIRELY different type of ammo. I received my kit today, and plan a trip to the range Monday. Will report back w/results. All factory 230gr FMJ loads.

BTW, after installation, Pull is MUCH easier. Can't hardly wait to get to the range.

Edited by 68coupe