1921 Colt Thompson Butt Stock Oiler

Once again, always something on eBay and since no has a bid on it, I have a question, is this right? It’s nickel, which I’ve seen them like that, but round, which the M1’s are round, but not like this ....

COLT THOMPSON SMG OILER - OIL BOTTLE

So, is this a real oiler?

Randy

aka NotDeaf

QUOTE (1921A @ Feb 8 2006, 05:04 PM)
It's not a Colt Thompson oiler! Looks more like a sewing machine or fishing reel oiler to me.

Maybe the gun belonged to Whistlers Mother she was into shooting & sewing I think....

QUOTE (1921A @ Feb 8 2006, 05:04 PM)
It's not a Colt Thompson oiler!  Looks more like a sewing machine or fishing reel oiler to me.

1921A is correct, it's definitely not an original Colt era oiler. It is similar to sewing machine oilers of the period.

QUOTE (philasteen @ Feb 8 2006, 10:41 PM)
I wrote the seller a rather snide email about his fraudulent auction. I'm curious to see if I get a response.

Why snide, why is it fraudulent? Do you know that he/she is purposely misleading, or do they just lack knowledge? I think Arty's comment is more likely..... jmho

Here was the response:

Item: COLT THOMPSON SMG OILER - OIL BOTTLE

(7217908842)

This message was sent while the listing was active.

tommyjeremy is the seller.

---------------------------------------

you should read my words i said it came out of a colt

thompson i know i took it out i dont know if colt

made it or what all i am saying i took it out of a colt

stock if someone needs a correct one i dont even know

if colt ever made one im sure if you have a $25,000

colt you would know what oiler should be in it dont you

agree its an oiler if your going to put it in another

thompson or if your going to use it to put ear drops in

your ear thats up to the person who wants it thanks

for your concern

Until someone bids on it there isn't much of a problem but if they do it wouldn't hurt to perhaps give them a little education.

Well he just sent me a response and it was -

"i did not say it was a colt oiler i said it came out of a colt"

I responded that the title of his auction said it all-

COLT THOMPSON SMG OILER - OIL BOTTLE

I mean tell me guys- From the title and stating where it was "found" I don't think this is a mere inference to be drawn and the titleis a clear statement of fact (be it ever so false)

Mark

Edited by OldFalGuy

Pretty backed up against the wall response by tommyjeremy... You should add a c&p of your letter to him... btaim Sounds like the WWII Westie Drum dood.... even though he now knows better he is unwilling to change his story "Not Colt, but possible Al Capone theater made replacement oiler" perhaps.... It has now moved from the realm of ignorance to deception... To bad.... Your case has been made.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/hail.gif

QUOTE (philasteen @ Feb 9 2006, 12:36 PM)
Does anyone want to chip in with me to buy this oiler so we can then leave a negative feedback for this guy? Something like "Misrepresented goods as being from a Thompson when they were not"

Dood if you're into Thompsons and you need people to chip in on a 25 buck item.... This guy's little auction should be the least of your worries.....

Z3BigDaddy, it's not the money, it's the group condemnation that comes from having many participate in this exercise.*

Oh I see it's not the money, it's the group mentality of stupid people in large numbers that you need... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/woot.gif

I know, lets find out were he lives and TP his house.... http://www.machinegunbooks.com/forums/invboard1_1_2/upload/html/emoticons/nutkick.gif

*Stolen from Norms sig

Michael Sennett - NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE NUMBERS!

I would wager he doesn't have the complete Colt Thompson but rather merely a buttstock from a Thompson only. Might be wrong and if so he should be ripe for the plucking to sell that Colt Thompson for $25K as he mentions they are worth- He need not further edumacation.