Whats Wrong With This One?

Wow?

This has a smooth barrel, cutts, and a Brittish front fore grip. Not exactly 1921 stuff. We can't see the lower levers to see what vintage they are.

(And it is cut for a drum..... I was snoozing before!)

If anyone contacts the seller and gets more info, please post!

With a 21 parts kit at $6K, that is getting right into 21 range anyway, and your gun would be mismatched.

My hunch is it is a 28 with a 21 stock, marked 1928, hence the owner says it is an overstamp. Need S/n info - that will ID it.

Looks like a Colt made gun to me. The barrel is finned, the grips are contoured right, everything about it looks like a Colt gun. The only thing that doesn't make sense is the seller's claim that the butt stock doesn't have a sling swivel. In fact, finding an original Colt 1928 Overstamp with the butt stock routed for an original Enfield type swivel would be the exception, not the rule. Most 1928 Navy models were sold to law enforcement agencies without the swivel and with vertical, as opposed to horizontal, fore grip. The buttstock may have been replaced with a WWII variety since the Remington anchor logo, found on Colt stocks, wasn't placed "high on the left side of the stock." This would be the only suspicious claim to me, the stock may have been stamped with a reproduction anchor stamp to make a prospective buyer think the stock is an original Colt part.

Well, I swapped messages with Wayne, he said the s/n is 10353. I do not have Gordon's book here at work... what is the known history of that one?

So, I'll give in on the fins... hard to tell. And the Cutts could have been installed anytime. But should there be a sling swivel on the Foregrip??? I thought this was only on Brittish 28s??

If I had the money, I'd probably jump for this one.

QUOTE (giantpanda4 @ Jan 12 2005, 02:13 PM)
Well, I swapped messages with Wayne, he said the s But should there be a sling swivel on the Foregrip??? I thought this was only on Brittish 28s??

Mike,

The police department that owned it probably put the swivel on at some point. It also could have been a subsequent owner. Although, Auto-Ordnance would put swivels on the guns if a customer requested it. 1928 Navy Overstamps didn't automatically come with swivels, they were an option. As I pointed out earlier, not many examples with swivels exist, so most agencies didn't order their Navy models with them.

I LOOKED A PURCHASEING THIS GUN. THE GENTLEMAN SENT ME SEVERAL CLOSE PHOTOS. THE GUN APPEARS TO BE ALL CORRECT. THE CONDITION IS SOMEWHAT INFLATED. IF ANYONE WANTS THE PHOTOS I STILL HAVE THEM ON FILE. E-MAIL ME AT PCA16@YAHOO.COM AND I WILL FORWARD THEM TO YOU. AS FOR THE HORIZONAL FOREARM, THE ORIGIONALS THAT WERE SHORTER(BY ABOUT 1/4 INCH) THAN THE WW II ONES AND HAD OFF SET SLING SWIVELS ARE RARE. I HAVE ONE COLT WITH HORIZONAL FOREGRIP AND OFFSET SLING SWIVELS(FORE AND AFT). BUT MY OTHER 2 COLT 28'S HAVE VERTICAL. THE VERTICAL IS MORE THE NORM THAN THE ODDITY. THE STUD IN THE FOREGRIP WAS MOST LIKELY PUT THERE BY THE PD OR A PRIOR OWNER. BRIAN GUSTAFSON.